Question I can finally hear! (but only for a moment)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm not sure which forum this belongs to. It's a weird topic.

A recent thread about someone not being able to hear a computer alarm prompted me to post this.

I always dive with a hood. Even in tropical waters. I'm bald and I like protecting my head from the sun.

Every dive I have conducted, I've never been able to hear more than my own bubbles (or maybe a boat traveling nearby).

It's like water is trapped in my ears by the hood and creates a plug. (Note: I have no issues equalizing and have never experienced any type of squeeze, reverse or otherwise.)

Then, on one recent dive, I was exhaling while twisting to look for anything overhead before shooting an SMB. I think what happened was that my exhaust bubbled under the hood and into my ear.

For about thirty seconds, I could hear a parrotfish gnawing on a piece of coral two feet away, and the click of my buddywife's regulator each time she inhaled.

It felt like the audible equivalent of taking off your sunglasses after wearing them indoors for hours at night and realizing that there is texture on the walls around you and that persons face isn't just a nose and some lips surrounded by shadows.

It was amazing!

Then I turned my head, and it was gone.

30 seconds at most.

So, I'm wondering . . . how do I get that back? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about hearing better underwater?

I'm not sure which forum this belongs to. It's a weird topic.

A recent thread about someone not being able to hear a computer alarm prompted me to post this.

I always dive with a hood. Even in tropical waters. I'm bald and I like protecting my head from the sun.

Every dive I have conducted, I've never been able to hear more than my own bubbles (or maybe a boat traveling nearby).

It's like water is trapped in my ears by the hood and creates a plug. (Note: I have no issues equalizing and have never experienced any type of squeeze, reverse or otherwise.)

Then, on one recent dive, I was exhaling while twisting to look for anything overhead before shooting an SMB. I think what happened was that my exhaust bubbled under the hood and into my ear.

For about thirty seconds, I could hear a parrotfish gnawing on a piece of coral two feet away, and the click of my buddywife's regulator each time she inhaled.

It felt like the audible equivalent of taking off your sunglasses after wearing them indoors for hours at night and realizing that there is texture on the walls around you and that persons face isn't just a nose and some lips surrounded by shadows.

It was amazing!

Then I turned my head, and it was gone.

30 seconds at most.

So, I'm wondering . . . how do I get that back? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about hearing better underwater?
IST pro ear mask with ear cups.

WHAT? HUH?
Let me describe it a different way.

There are certain jobs at work that require ear extreme ear protection. To the point where we are required to wear both earplugs and noise canceling ear muffs. (I know some folks who do this at the firing range.) With both sets of ear protection, you can still hear the engine of heavy equipment and you can hear your own blood pumping through your ears and your breathing, but that's about all.

Imagine this situation, where you have multiple layers of ear protection and the constant drone of heavy machinery.

Now, imagine that, in an instant, the equipment is turned off and the ear protection removed and you're in this place where you can make out birdsong and crickets or frogs when before all you had was a constant dull drone.

It was almost like the air suddenly trapped in my ear allowed my ear to "focus" the way we need air in our masks for our eyes to focus. Everything was crystal clear, and I had never experienced that before in the water.

I am familiar with what you are talking about but I've never really given it any thought. I have never dove without a hood, but I notice the enhanced hearing when I am in warm water with a thin hood.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Let's try and be helpful here rather than indulging in off topic humor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom