Can't hear my computers alarm, not sure if it's working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your kind responses. I'll check with my buddy next time around.
I hope some day I'll be less reliant on the DC nagging me, but for the time being it is helpful :)

I can't hear high pitch noises and so I went with the Shearwater computer so I could feel the vibration and it works, even on a 7 mm wetsuit.

I had the chance to do some warm water diving for the first time (yay!).
The good news is that the computer works fine, the bad news is that I can't hear it with the hood as some people suggested. I'll probably look into getting a thinner hood or a computer that vibrates in the future.

I had the chance to do some warm water diving for the first time (yay!).
The good news is that the computer works fine, the bad news is that I can't hear it with the hood as some people suggested. I'll probably look into getting a thinner hood or a computer that vibrates in the future.
I gotta ask… can you calm the ascent rate thing down?

I, too, had this going off if i raised my arm,

…so i bought a teenager a Coke and he tamed it for me.

A thought and a suggestion:

1. Have a buddy record video with, e.g., a Go Pro. Watch the video after and see if you hear any alarms at the right time. I didn't notice an audible alarm when I chased a manta deeper than my set limit, but could hear it on the video!

2. My Aqualung i330R got a firmware update and now flags me on ascent routinely. Always very brief intervals and in looking at the actual depths and times I can't figure out why it's flagging them. I suspect it has something to do with sampling interval. E.g., in 1.8 seconds I go up 0.7 foot. But the computer "thinks" I did an ascent rate of 0.7 feet in one second because of the sampling interval. That's over the 0.5 feet per second rule the computer uses, so it dings me.

I'm convinced it's sometimes a sampling issue because on dives where I had to chase a floaty student down and likely DID exceed the ascent rate, it doesn't always get flagged. Or doing CESAs with students, where students may go 25 feet in 25 seconds, yet I don't get flagged....

In this scenario, the fault doesn't exist for long and presumable any alarm that might have gone off is no longer doing it after a moment.

I, too, had this going off if i raised my arm,
It used to concern me that after a dive my computer (Aeris XR1) always showed I exceeded proper ascent rates. Then I got a second XR1 NX. The XR1 is relegated to my bc pocket and never exceeds proper ascent rates though the NX on my wrist does.

Reactions: Doc
In the last 7 years, I've used, or had students use a Mares Puck Pro. I've never heard them once. I have some HF hearing loss which probably explains why I can't hear if my students do an "AAAAAAhhhhhh" while doing a CESA. I've never heard one of those either.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom