Can't hear my computers alarm, not sure if it's working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! I'm a very novice diver (~20 logged dives). I recently got my first diving computer, a Mares Puck Pro Plus. Reviewing the computer logs I noticed that at some points, I exceeded the recommended ascent rate (even got to 18 m/min for a short while). I never heard my computer beep. I checked and the audible alarm is on.
Now, I'm not sure if this is a problem of me hearing underwater with a hood on or the computer is not beeping. Do you know of any way I can test the beeping on the surface? I wrote Mares support about this but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Now, I'm not sure if this is a problem of me hearing underwater with a hood on or the computer is not beeping. Do you know of any way I can test the beeping on the surface? I wrote Mares support about this but haven't heard back from them yet.
Most likely it’s the hood. And you seem to have stumbled on one of the problems with audible alarms. They can be hard to hear, especially under a hood. The other problem is it’s tough to tell where it’s coming from.

Does it beep on startup?

I haven't heard it beep on startup.
Not sure if Mares computers beep on startup. My experience was with my Oceanics. Those do beep, though I have the audible alarms turned off.

It probably doesn't. My wife's (same computer model) does not beep on startup, but she says she heard the audible alarms of her DC underwater. She dives without a hood too.

Hi all! I'm a very novice diver (~20 logged dives). I recently got my first diving computer, a Mares Puck Pro Plus. Reviewing the computer logs I noticed that at some points, I exceeded the recommended ascent rate (even got to 18 m/min for a short while). I never heard my computer beep. I checked and the audible alarm is on.

Thanks and happy holidays!
:) not sure about your age, but I can tell you that I am lucky that my computer watch vibrates+visual indicators. So many time other divers have to point that my alarm is active, and I can't hear it. Hopefully is a different type of issue for you. Check settings for alarm sound levels.

Ask those around you after a dive if they heard a computer alarm going off? So many can't hear there own alarm, but everyone else in the water has to listen to the mystery alarm going off.

Judging from the amount of beeping I hear when doing recreational dives on a large boat, I don't think anybody else can hear them either.
I hate audible alarms.

While the audible alarms definitely serve a purpose, they may inadvertently condition you to rely on them (if you can actually hear them) when you should really be checking your gauges/computers at regular intervals. I would go so far to say that in some instances our reliance on technology is dumbing down our problem solving skills by eliminating valuable thought processes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom