Making a steel dive computer - input needed!

Like it?

• Love it!

• Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about USB charging, if that hasn't already been mentioned, in the previous five dozen responses -- like my M28, which doesn't have me dicking around the third world, in search of exotic batteries?

how would those screws turn? Must be decorative only
The slot in the “screws” is decorative but the “screws” are functional. They are like a fancy nut, with a threaded hole and an actual screw is in the other side.

The ring on the left is a for another strap, as an optional way to mount the computer.

Interesting. It would give you the option to have the DC in either landscape or portrait. You could even hang it from a d-ring like a nurses watch.

But I suspect that its not worth the trouble to do that. As you'll need to accommodate the UI in either orientation, that's a lot of extra work for what seems (to me at least) to be a feature of marginal value.
A clever solution to allow both NATO straps and bungies can't hurt though.

Certainly, with a wrist mounted DC, landscape makes more sense than portrait, and square (or 'round') gives you the worst of both worlds (but gives you the watch style many like).

I do wonder how much value there is to just having as big as screen as is possible/practical... I certainly have seen many people praising the screen on the perdix for its size, I'd certainly be interested in the Eon DC's if they had a cheaper version (due to their large screen).
I suspect that the hardware is the main driver of cost though, and the only way to justify the price point is to make it tech feature heavy. Even if the majority of the users are only rec divers.

Given the relatively low cost of high quality AMOLED screens (ignoring MOQ challenges) for the existing phone industry, even though a 5-6 inch screen might be a little impractical, I do wonder if just building something around a big ass screen has appeal. It will be a decent amount of work to get such a large screen to survive the pressure, but it would certainly be a differentiation (and you could have a really clear UI!).
Heck, now I'm temped to see what happens if you take a bargain price generic 5 inch android china special phone/tablet and pot it with epoxy. Will it survive to a useful depth?.

hmm.

Time of Day.... On the top most display. Tide-dependent diving is easier to reference with time of day than minutes under water. Getting back to the gate of a dive boat in an hour is easier with a proper clock.

Both bottom time / time underwater and time of day are important, but I consistently find myself looking at time of day more than anything else.

- K

Everyone has seemed to touch on most of the upgrades or features we see on dc’s. What’s the eta for an actual housing prototype

Time of Day.... On the top most display. Tide-dependent diving is easier to reference with time of day than minutes under water. Getting back to the gate of a dive boat in an hour is easier with a proper clock.

Both bottom time / time underwater and time of day are important, but I consistently find myself looking at time of day more than anything else.

- K
Interesting, we will take this in consideration also.

Everyone has seemed to touch on most of the upgrades or features we see on dc’s. What’s the eta for an actual housing prototype
We should have a prototype in about three months.

How about USB charging, if that hasn't already been mentioned, in the previous five dozen responses -- like my M28, which doesn't have me dicking around the third world, in search of exotic batteries?
Considering previous replies, a rechargeable AND ruser replaceable battery seems to be the ideal option...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom