Making a steel dive computer - input needed!

Like it?

• Love it!

• Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Norden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, guys, I am part of a small team. We are building a new dive computer, a sturdy piece of gear (steel) with a coulour screen. We would love your input on anything related to this, the design, funtionality, algorithms, etc. etc. So go crazy, and let us know what you want!

Luca1208_2.png

Slightly recessed screen to help prevent scratches?

Slightly beveled/polished edges to reduce wear on wetsuit/drysuit materials.

What is the battery concept so far? User serviceable battery?

What are the dimensions and weight on this thing so far?

Hi! Yes, the screen will be recessed, like you describe. Edges will be smooth and polished, also like you describe. Regarding the battery, not decided yet, but we are leaning towards having a rechargeable battery. Thoughts?

The dimensions of the watch case (not including extruding parts) will be about 65*60 mm. Weight = heavy :) Will let you know as soon as we have that data.

Size of the numbers? Will they be larger, for those of us with older eyes?

DW

Good point, and yes, they will be larger. I myself had problems with reading the numbers on my last dive, since I now need reading glasses (above water...) So, I will make sure of that.

non steel or at least non iron for compass work.

tissue display

gf99 and gf surface metrics

simple menu structure I see one stem perhaps it is a twist to scroll and push to select. what about while wearing gloves

In today's day n age, reachable could possibly be ok, but what about "life of charge" and non-volatile memory to store preferences and dive log. Consider that today's diver is already pressed for electrical outlets to charge their camera and light batteries, not to mention a dive computer as well.... especially when traveling to less developed and more remote locations.

non steel or at least non iron for compass work.

This as well, it should not interfere too much with compass readings. I know that some stainless steel is less magnetic, but even a few degrees of unexpected declination can be a big problem under the surface.

Depending on your targeted market of course... but I would say: A good computer to compete in the 400€<.....<800€ range. With the GFlo GFhi ratio, AI capability, compass...

That would kill a bit the classic: “take a computer under 400 or take a shearwater” (nothing wrong with this I just think that there is an opportunity here)

Some people might be interested in the best computer possible for 600€..

(To compete with the mid range ratio and lower/mid OSTC)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom