Making a steel dive computer - input needed!

Like it?

• Love it!

• Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats the ring on the left of the case for?

also ide ditch the crown, and go with face mount buttons.....that crown looks like a nightmare to use with 5mm gloves.

i dont dislike the nato strap.....just make sure its long enough to fit around a thick wetsuit or dry suit

if possible i would make the watch strap lugs solid (ie dont rely on spring bars)
The ring on the left is a for another strap, as an optional way to mount the computer.

Slotted screws belong in the dustbin of history.

The screen to device size ratio isn't great.

The crown looks hideous, its going to jam into the back of your wrist at every opportunity, get seaweed collecting around it and if its supposed to be a control... well, its going to be hard to manipulate, especially if you have gloves on.

What's up with the handle thing on the left side?

More importantly, who is your target market? If you are looking for feedback you need to know roughly who you should be listening too. Otherwise you'll either end up building a Perdix (there might be a bit of a bias towards that here on SB!), or you'll end up building something that meets the needs of everyone, but no-one actually likes.

I have no idea how much of the market I might represent, but what I'm looking for is:
Durable.
Large clear screen (visible in sunlight)
Bluetooth
AA battery (rechargeable is nice, but I want to be able to swap out the battery if I've forgotten to charge it)
Wireless AI.
Lower price.

I don't particularly care about the algorithm, or about 'tech' features, if I ever end up doing that kind of diving I'll worry about that then.
I own a Sherwood Atmos Air, which (second hand) was the cheapest Wireless AI capable DC I was able to find.

PS, I work in product dev, so my feedback might be a little blunt.
Persona interviews and product market fit.
Hi, and thanks for great input. Don´t worry about being blunt, keep it honest :)

Take a look at Hammerglass for the screen, they're located in Förslöv (Båstad) and truly know their stuff.
Please don't go with slotted screws, torx is the way to go.
AA battery would be great.
Thanks for the tip!

@David Norden posted his idea, asking for feedback. He has gotten a lot of feedback, some of it, useful. His responses have been appreciative. Personally, I give him a lot of credit for this activity. Way to go David, I hope the information is useful to you.
Thanks! So far, I can only give you all a big thumbs up for the honest feedback. This is hopefully just the beginning of our journey, we want to make some good, solid, useful gear, with a fair price. This might not be spot on right now, but it is a start. Work in progress as they say. So, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

- switch screen from portrait to landscape mode.

- Put bungee attachment points on it.

I want to co-sign both of these statements. I'm a female diver with small wrists and I want something that (a) fits securely, and (b) feels like it feels securely.

- Choice of algorithm : Buhlmann GF or VPM B/E
- Choice between Rec and Tek mode
- OC or CC
- choice : double strap or double bungee
- compass
- firmware with different languages (remember guys, many people don't speak English :wink:)
- user configurable display

Slotted screws belong in the dustbin of history.
Hmmmmm..... $21k says otherwise.
9445046_xxl.jpg

how would those screws turn? Must be decorative only

functional. but i'm not going to try to debate the practicality of a +20 grand dive watch.

That said, OP, I love your idea for a great looking watch. Just make sure it has all the features and capabilites of my Teric!

Add a cool analog watch style display that is as realistic as on this samsung watch and I'm game!
5876401_sd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom