Make Rescue a renewable c-card too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely should not expire. What is the point? Few would bother to redo it, if it did.

It might even put new divers off the course.

To be honest, if they're just doing it for the plastic and not the skills then maybe that's a good thing.

Maybe GUE Fundamentals should have a 2 year expiry?
It has a 3 year expiry.

Does a rescue card get you into a VIP room I don't know about? The first class lounge, maybe? No? Then who cares whether it expires or not?

I am rescue certified and can not honestly say I could pawn myself off today as a rescue divers as I have not practiced the physical rescue skills for 3 years.

But its nice to say Im rescue certified as some of the skills remain with me but not all.

I say the card should last 2 years with a $25 refresher and let people know ahead of time its not a permanent certificate. A physical test and a written test.

Having not even finnished my Rescue yet, I'd hate to think I'd have to go through all this expense and pain every couple of years! I do see how rescue training, like almost all scuba skills needs to be refreshed ocasionally, for our own good. After all, my 1970 YMCA Scuba certification wouldn't be worth s--t if I hadn't stayed current, but it would still be "valid". Somehow there should be a ballance between "forever" certifications and our need to keep up to date, that doesn't become just another excuse for money grabbing. Simply dating certs, with shorter voluntary (also w/dated card) updates available would be motivation for many divers to stay current, without setting up new requirements that could just become another major profit stream for agencies.

There's absolutely no logic to having the rescue cert. expire. What difference would it make?

I've seen nurses and medics do CPR ineffectively. Personally, I think 2 year renewals for CPR aren't enough. Actually, I think the typical CPR courses being taught today are ineffective. Most of the people coming out of the classes couldn't do CPR properly if someone collapsed in front of them 5 minutes after they finished the course.

What does this have to do with Rescue? It's the same. Too many divers are being passed through the course without having to effectively demonstrate the skills. How many divers actually get surprise scenarios during their Rescue courses vs. an instructor reading from the cue card and beginning the scenario in that fashion?

What's wrong with a refresher? The agencies get a small fee for the cert cards (about $17 for PADI) and they get money for the manuals. They don't get anything else. The rest of the course fee goes to the shop. I offer a Rescue refresher. I offer it during my regular Rescue courses and present a certificate of completion. The students get to participate in the entire course for a fraction of the cost of an initial Rescue course.

I really think if we threw a bunch of scenarios at divers who completed a Rescue course more than 2 years ago, I think many of them would not be able to perform the appropriate skills effectively and efficiently. Without practice, the skills go away. A refresher is a way to keep the skills practiced.

So divers can take your refresher course even though their certifications don't expire? And if they did expire, the divers wouldn't lose anything except for the privilege of telling people they are rescue divers? So again, who cares if rescue expires or not?

Last edited:
If I could do a refresher Rescue course, at a greatly reduced rate, I would seriously consider doing it
.. skills are not as sharp when not used It's true, but no differently than any other skill or certification ... regular OW or AOW certs don't expire ether and there's even more people that could be said to need basic skills refreshed with those than Rescue
.. should the Rescue cert. expire? no

Volunteer to be a victim at rescue classes and there ya go.

Requiring refreshers at the professional level makes sense, but not at the recreational level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom