Make Rescue a renewable c-card too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really though, what would the point be? You get a Rescue card and 5 years later someone in your dive group needs to be rescued. Are you going to sit by and watch them die as you realize your card has expired? Stupid question, right?

The point is, if it's important to you, you need to review your skills and studies, no matter what your endeavor is. When is the last time you reviewed your OW, AOW or other course book?

Really though, what would the point be? You get a Rescue card and 5 years later someone in your dive group needs to be rescued. Are you going to sit by and watch them die as you realize your card has expired? Stupid question, right?

The point is, if it's important to you, you need to review your skills and studies, no matter what your endeavor is. When is the last time you reviewed your OW, AOW or other course book?

This is a good point but it brings to light the question: Did you take the Rescue course for the certification or the training necessary to be able to respond in an emergency?
I, personally, like the idea of a "Rescue diver" having to retrain periodically. This doesn't necessarily mean getting recertified but maybe a decal on the existing card that verifies they have completed "critical aspects" of Rescue training and any updates as well. Skill retention is the key. I train lifeguards and it amazes me how we can go through our CPR/PR training and when retraining comes up (1 year later w/ARC) there has been some serious deterioration of skills! Consider the rescue skills of a lifeguard after the 3 year expiration and then consider the rescue skills of a rescue diver over a lifetime. So it begs the question: How many of you regularly rehearse your rescue skills with that emergency crisis in mind? I bet that number is near zero.
As far as necessary fees (if you actually need to place a monetary amount on YOUR ability to help another person in a crisis) they should be nominal. Pay the instructor for their time and a small charge for the decal, no need for a new card.
The problem with the entire issue is that once a diver is rescue certified, there is no reason to require them to go through rescue training again or maintain certification aside from being job-related or the person were seeking the professional path. I'm afraid most that go through rescue training initially feel that it is adequate enough to fulfill their emergency responses over a lifetime....and this just simply isn't the case. Lack of skill retention is the ongoing concern.

Maybe GUE Fundamentals should have a 2 year expiry?

Actually, you do have to renew your GUE certifications every 3 years. Different certifications require different renewal requirements. At the Fundamentals level you have to submit your log book showing that you've done at least 25 dives at the fundamentals level.

I think this is a fair statement...It makes exactly the same sense to make rescue a "renewable required" certification as it does to make the same requirement for OW. If someone doesn't dive significantly for a couple of years, their skills are just as questionable as the ones for rescue.

NAUI Advanced Rescue requires re-certification every three years.

In my rescue classes, I offer former rescue diver students to come in and train with candidates. I look for 1 to 1 ratio with Rescue Divers and victims. It's a great class.

I offer $49 rescue refreshers at the lake about every six months. Ironically, I can count the number of people who sign up on one hand.

I never see people coming into the store or out at the lake practicing rescue skills.

In my rescue classes, I survey all my students on the first night. About 2/3rds of the students say they are just taking the class to get to divemaster.

At the end of Divemaster class, I survey all my students. About half of them say the Rescue class was their favorite class.

Most agency curricula focus on rescue skills. More focus needs to go into situational analysis and control. Shops need to offer more scenario practice as a part of the curriculum. Not just tearing through the skills. Controlling panic underwater is essential, need to focus on Panic cycle and task loading in controlled environment.

SDI Solo Diver is great continuing educational program for Rescue Divers.

Practice, Practice, Practice! Drill, Drill, Drill!

jcf

I, personally, like the idea of a "Rescue diver" having to retrain periodically. This doesn't necessarily mean getting recertified but maybe a decal on the existing card that verifies they have completed "critical aspects" of Rescue training and any updates as well. Skill retention is the key.

Yes, I like that idea. What we really need is a Rescue equivalent of the PADI Scuba Review program. It wouldn't have to be a complete Rescue course again; perhaps just a pool session to practise the skills followed by a rescue scenario session.

Well hopefully your skills have not deteriorated to the point that it would be better for you to sit by, as opposed to making things worse for the victim, or even better, adding yourself to the "people needing rescueing" list.

I think it's a great idea to offer a refresher course. And to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the only way you could get practicing DM's, Ai's and instructors to take it would be to have a requirement. And these people need to have their rescue skills sharper than the rest of us.

YMMV

I don't see the issue with expiring. A first aid or CPR card need refresh.

SSI Master Diver certification requires taking a Rescue course but I wouldn't see why that would be revoked if you let the Rescue cert expire since Master Diver is just says you have taken the class at some time.

Well, what do you know - I should have looked in the rescue diver instructor manual earlier:

The PADI Rescue Diver course encourages student divers to periodically update and refresh their skills. The following outlines a rescue review program for certified Rescue Divers interested in refresher training. This is not a certification; additional topics may be added at instructor discretion.

1. Assign divers to review the most current versions of the PADI Rescue Diver Manual and watch the PADI Rescue Diver Video and administer the PADI Rescue Diver examination. Discuss any questions missed until divers demonstrate mastery.

2. It’s recommended that you conduct an Emergency First Response Refresher with the Rescue Review to retrain and update CPR/first aid skills.

3. Conduct Rescue Training Sessions Two and Five with the divers. You may combine Rescue Review participants with students in the PADI Rescue Diver course.

4. For PADI Rescue Divers, conduct Open Water Rescue Scenarios Three and Four. Ideally, include them with all four rescue scenarios with a PADI Rescue Diver course in progress.

The only question remains then, should this be required every two years in order to maintain the rescue level certification, just as an EFR update is required to maintain the EFR certification?

Stop, Breathe, Think, Act. I have never had to save anyone since I took rescue three years ago but those four words still stay with me and will never expire. I have recited them several times in sticky dive situations and they give me comfort and remind me that I am in control.

As for the efr...how many times do I hit the people on the chest if they are dying? I forget. I blow in the nose hole right?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom