Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday...

Buzz and I arrived at around 10:30 am and we set up our gear. Met up with Lisa and Rick and made a dive round the quarry. Temp and vis was great. we started at the silo and we then follwed the line (which I cleaned on the way with my gloved hand) to the S10 truck, from there it was the F4, I think Rick really liked it, Buzz said you used to be able to read the markings on the side, now covered in muck. we then followed the line (still cleaning the lines) to the rocket, the line to the flight simulator, Buzz and I entered at the bottom entrance and went to the rear and up one a level and exited out the left door. Rick and Lisa said later, that they created a new sign...I got tickled at them,,,they call it the chicken sign, but really as we all you NEVER do anything your uncomfortable with or that your not sure of. So that's cool! I had been through it with Buzz before so I knew what to expect. So as of date we now have two new signs...missing spouse and chicken. ROFL!
Then we started going up the old road bed to the 'Ol Roy,from the 'Ol Roy we again followed and cleaned the line as we went to the Observatory and then again the line to the Bridge and we followed the wall back to the training platform on the south side of the western wall, then again following and cleaning the lines to the platform we entered in, the northern platform on the western wall. Dive time was 55 minutes.

After a great dive we went up top and visited with Lisa, Rick, Kathy and Scott. we enjoyed some watermelon, pineapple, and veggies with Diet drinks and water.Buzz and I had a nieces Birthday party to attend so we packed up and headed southwest, in just the nick of time. As we were driving west on 565 the rain got bad and with some hail. But we soon ran out of it when we headed south on 65 to Hartselle.

Sunday....

After church we ate and headed to the Madison Quarry again...We arrived a little late, we needed to go by Target and get a battery for Buzz and I spotted a backpack Patrick ( my son) needed, so we made our purchases and made our way Northeast to the Quarry. So we set up our gear and Jimmy set up his cover. Lisa and Rick were set up all ready...we talked for a bit with Kenny,James,Yarg, JT,William,Kathy and Scott and then geared up and headed to the water. We followed the basically same route again today. I cleaned a few more spots on the lines today. the water temp was great and the vis wasn't as good a yesterday but still good. Dive time 44 minutes for me and Jimmy.I played with a big catfish for a bit before exiting the water. Buzz, Lisa and Rick had a little longer dive. We again went topside and enjoyed fellowship with Rick, Lisa, Jimmy, Lee,William, Britt,Kathy and Scott and enjoyed more veggies, and fruit, water and drinks. It was a Great Day!
We will be back there Next Saturday and we are having the NNDC dive meeting there... and then a NIGHT DIVE with Britt from Better Divers as our guest speaker......check NNDC for details.....Home Page

Tootles, Sheree'

ps: Harry and Mike sorry we missed ya!

Yeah that bottom of the Shuttle Flight simulator can be tricky. It's pretty tight and can easily get silted up. They've had people in the past years go in w/o lights and get a little lost for a minute. They got out ok, but it scared them a little.

Even the top part can be pretty dark w/o a light.

FYI:

The Better Diver Madison Quarry website has been updated with photos, info, and the calendar is working correctly now.

We are having our 1st Night Dives Saturday so come and enjoy the water.

The confined water area is completed so Instructors can bring students down for the weekend, do the pool work and the 4 dives without having to run everywhere. The confined water platform is at 5 feet the walk in area, see the photos on the website.

We installed Controlled Swimming Assent (CSA/CESA) lines with buoys next to the two western platforms. There is also a 100 foot kick cycle line between the two western docks.

If anyone wants to host an event, contact me and we will get it set up.

Phil from Dive Sports is hosting a cook out on the 21st, get with him to sign up.

The NNDC is planning on having a meeting at the quarry as well.

So far, the water is great and we even had a group come in from Oklahoma this week.

Thanks for everyone support with getting the quarry opened again.

Thanks you for all you have done to make it happen - when so many said it will never happen

Thanks Britt for allowing us to meet there Saturday night. It was great!
We meet around 3:30 and got set up and made a dive.

Dive 1:

Buzz, Jimmy,Lisa,Rick, Mike and myself with Scott and Kathy just leaving the water for thier SI.
After the short dive for Buzz...just got his tank filled at a Huntsville shop and realized he only had 1500 psi, not happy! The young man got in a hurry I believe. Anyway,,,,So Buzz lead us to the Al. Lady, then the big white thing, then the F4 , then the siumlator, he had to head back, so I lead to the rocket, the firetruck, followed the wall to the boat, tube, and the upside down boat and to the dock with a Safety swim on the way @ 15. Now all of this was with Jimmy's help on navagation, my compass is not always working, so I would stop and check with Jimmy to be sure on the way. Thanks Jimmy!

Meeting:

We meet up top with canopys galore...Jimmy grilled the meat and we all socialized and ate some good grub prvided by all for a bit...then Britt gave us a detailed update and discussion on the quarry and his hopes for the future. We also discussed other possibilities for meetings and more fuctions there. BTW Britt has some coupons giving to him from Apple Lane Farms ( in the Wal-mart SC), they really would love to see the quarry survive with divers. the owner is a diver and he invited others to get their lunches there and so on. So he sent coupons via Lisa, thanks Lisa!

Dive 2: Night Dive

So after we heard from Britt, we all geared up again...being, Jimmy, Buzz,Lisa,Rick,Scott, Kathy, Mike, James,and myself....I think I am forgeting some folks, I am sorry if I have. Made sure our lights worked and went in....great dive, kinda at dust we entered and water was great, vis was cloudy but who cares.
, we had lights. A great dive and the first ND for Lisa, Rick and Kathy....YEAH! they did very well! and might I say the perfect place to do a first night dive! More detailed minutes will be posted on www.nonamediveclub.com

THANKS AGAIN BRITT! :)

Sunday's diving was fantastic. I counted approximately 30 divers in the water during my visit and everyone seemed to be having a great time. It had been over a year since my last dive at the Madison Quarry and it was like going home again!

The surface temp was 88-90F and the bottom temp was 86F at 45 ft. As far as I am concerned, wearing a 3 mil short wetsuit is all that is needed. Vis varied between 20ft (surface down to about 20ft) and 7ft (below 30ft...alot of green).

Britt and crew have done a great job of cleaning up the site and making it user friendly. They've got a divemaster on site with emergency gear, use two way radios between dive site and topside (where tanks are filled and you register for entry) and have a 4 wheel ATV for quick runs between the two locations.

So everyone knows, every two weeks is a night dive (extra $10) and this is the perfect quarry to conduct a compass run and test that new high power light. :)

I plan on diving there often. See you there!

EDIT: My avatar (photo) on the left was taken at the Madison Quarry last year. The vis shown in the photo is typical for this time of year.

Regards,
Ltstanfo
Huntsville, AL

Just a quick update on the quarry, we have added 2 more bottles to the cascade system bringing it up to a total of 6. It seemed to help quite a bit for the air fills this last weekend.

Hey Britt,

is the air o2 clean at the quarry?

I've had a couple people ask me and I wanted to get the latest information since I know you've been upgrading your system there.

I know you might not be doing nitrox fills there yet, but lots of folks have o2 clean tanks that they o2 clean air fills (21%) in for quarry diving.

Hey Britt,

is the air o2 clean at the quarry?

Yes, the compressor was tested and it surpassed Grade E, since the system was moved to the quarry, it has had the filters changed once and will be changed again next month to make sure that it stays clean.

The air fill system is the same one from the store, the compressor has a quick disconnect so it is portable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom