Madison Quarry Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuke

Reaction score

This was an interesting quote from the story.......

Kirkindall and Lacy said there is no way of knowing if the company
owes the city $90,000 in back payments on the lease because the
company's financial records were in such bad shape.

Kirkindall said accepting the $7,500 "would essentially close out" the
company's obligations to the city.

The best thing though is that it looks like they want to open it again. Hopefully it will be a scuba park...

-Mike

$7500 for $90000....I wonder if I can get my mortgage company to accept a similar deal.

Anyway, I hope the quarry will reopen next spring but I'm still pessimistic.

-Harry

Another news story released Nov 17th. No real new news though... just basically repeat of stuff thats already been reported.

from http://www.madisoncountyrecord.com/articles/2005/11/17/news/news4.txt
City accepts payoff from divers
Leada Gore, Madison Record

Madison is washing it hands of the operator of a diving facility at a municipally owned quarry.

The city had accepted a $7,500 payoff from Rock Divers Inc. to help with cleanup of the site. Rock Divers Inc. operated a dive site and paintball facility at the 100-acre Madison Acquatic Park off Lime Quarry Road in Madison for nine years.

For the past several years, questions swirled around the terms of Rock Divers contract. Rock Divers claimed the city didn't meet its promise to construct infrastructure at the site, while the city said Rock Divers wasn't making proper payments.

Rock Divers left the site last month. Equipment, including two trailers, are still ate the site. Rock Divers contract was scheduled to end in July 2006.

Council member Cynthia McCollum, who cast the lone vote against accepting the payoff, said Rock Divers owes some $90,000.

Still, accepting the money was the best thing to do, according to Council President Bob Wagner.

"Our goal was to get the property back and get some money back and if we've done that, I think we've done a good job," Wagner said.

neophytediver:
Woman I work with's husband is on the city council and she said that the city council offered to sell them the property outright, and RockDivers said no.

Rock Divers had way too many money problems to keep in operation much
less do a large capital purchase of the property... They were reported
as to having money and management issues (which are always directly
related) long before they closed.

However, since you know the councilman (or his wife), use any influence you
can to help keep this open as a diving quarry. Mention the economic impact
that it has on local businesses and tax revenue from that. Divers come from
out of town, eat breakfast, buy gas, eat lunch and maybe dinner. sometimes
they even stay in local hotels.

mike_s:
However, since you know the councilman (or his wife), use any influence you
can to help keep this open as a diving quarry. Mention the economic impact
that it has on local businesses and tax revenue from that. Divers come from
out of town, eat breakfast, buy gas, eat lunch and maybe dinner. sometimes
they even stay in local hotels.

The city council knows this and is working on it.

Besides Madison Water Park and Blue Water Adventures do you or anyone else know of any other dive sites in central to north Alabama. I live in Cullman and i am interested in any local dive destinations.

TP,
Welcome to the ScubaBoard!!!

Get in touch with Rick Murchison here on the ScubaBoard. He an others make frequent dive trips to some of the lakes in your area.

But be advised, he's a very demanding diver/instructor, but one helluva good guy/diver.

the K

The Kraken:
TP,
Welcome to the ScubaBoard!!!

Get in touch with Rick Murchison here on the ScubaBoard. He an others make frequent dive trips to some of the lakes in your area.

But be advised, he's a very demanding diver/instructor, but one helluva good guy/diver.

the K
Thanks for the info K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom