Made the jump to back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noreastDIVER84

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After I got back from my cruise that I had gotten in some diving. I decided I have had enough of my jacket style SeaQuest ProQD, and upgrade to a back inflation. I just picked up a Sherwood Axis. I have yet to dive with it, but will get into the pool at my LDS in the net week to get my weighting adjusted with it and my drysuit. I do have to say that I was surprised at the little things on it, such as the included safety sausage, and a place to put it. Not that it will replace my 5' bright yellow Dive Rite one, but it is there.

I should have an opportunity in the next week or so to go for a discover ice diving that one of the local dive clubs is doing. That is provided that the lake is still frozen. Then I will be able to try out the new BC and feel the comfort of not wearing the jacket style.

I also got a killer deal on it from my LDS, they had a better "sticker price" than I could find online, I then got $100 taken off for the trade in of my SeaQuest BCD

Not to be a wet blanket but how may ice dives do you have? Under the ice is no place to try new gear. I would not allow a diver to do ice or dive with one under the ice in something they are not intimately familiar with.

Not to be a wet blanket but how may ice dives do you have? Under the ice is no place to try new gear. I would not allow a diver to do ice or dive with one under the ice in something they are not intimately familiar with.
Well I don't have any ice dives, but I will be working with my equipment in the pool this week. As of right now it is not looking like the ice diving is going to be happening. It is going to warm up too much and the ice is only freshly frozen to begin with.

I do understand the concern for using new gear in a new environment no less. But I will say unless I feel comfortable with my gear I wont dive it in open water until I do feel comfortable with it. I have access to the pool at the dive shop at any time, and then I have access to their quarry in the spring/summer when they are doing open water dives.

...well, there would be those who'd argue you didn't exactly 'jump' to back-inflate....more like a little 'hop' in that direction......don't worry, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, eventually you will..... :)

...well, there would be those who'd argue you didn't exactly 'jump' to back-inflate....more like a little 'hop' in that direction......don't worry, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, eventually you will..... :)
Well yes I do know that there are going to be the people that swear by BP/W. I do get the concept of it, but I personally don't need what that particular set-up has to offer. I am very well suited with the set-up I have chosen.

I tried a DUI back inflated and just couldn't get used to it. I went back to the jacket where they insist on a BCD. Otherwise it's a backplate and rig with a horsecollar these days.

Well yes I do know that there are going to be the people that swear by BP/W. I do get the concept of it, but I personally don't need what that particular set-up has to offer. I am very well suited with the set-up I have chosen.

Famous last words before we get a post of switching to BP/w :)

I just hope my instructor will let me do PADI DM training with BP/w and longhose. Not sure if this is PADI kosher or not.

If you are competent in the set up there us no reason why they should not. Unless they require DM students to be in the gear the shop sells. In which case they should provide it to you or not charge you for the course. Personally I wouldn't care if you were in a horse collar or a plate and no wing. If you could perform everything that was required it would only help the students by exposing them to different styles of diving.

If you are competent in the set up there us no reason why they should not. Unless they require DM students to be in the gear the shop sells. In which case they should provide it to you or not charge you for the course. Personally I wouldn't care if you were in a horse collar or a plate and no wing. If you could perform everything that was required it would only help the students by exposing them to different styles of diving.

I will play by the rules (I always try). I am doing both PADI DM and GUE Fundies this year and I would prefer not to switch back and forth. I hope once I will become an instructor but I would like my students to end up bit better trained than I was when I got my OW. I think that with some hard work this can be achieved.

Back
Top Bottom