Made in the U.S.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alanc48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the market for a new knife and would prefer to buy one made in the U.S. I'm replacing my stainless one with a titanium. I was looking at the Aqua Lung Argonaut but can't find any info on where it was made. I also looked at Benchmade but some of the reviews of their dive knives were iffy. Any suggestions?

Got my answer, made in Taiwan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

real-knife.jpg
My scuba pro knife from the 80's.....Back when a knife, was really a knife.....
I am considering using it instead of a light canister, to route the long hose around...on right waist/hip.
The wearing of such a huge knife on the leg is ridiculous for drag and other issues...but for hose routing, it might just escape the too big to use issue.

How often have I needed a knife in diving ridiculously advanced sites since the late 70's? At no time have I ever actually "needed" one....but when I used to spearfish, it was important to finish off a speared fish so it did not struggle or suffer.
Of course, if I ever did get tangled in something, this would do the trick. Some gear is just fun to use....vintage double hose regs..steel 72's with j valve ....so this knife may be making a comeback :)
As to point of Origin...it says Italy on the hilt....in the company of Lamborghini and many other great manufacturers, I am fine with USA or Italy as a point of origin. I'll pass on made in china whenever possible.

Yes, exactly! That is a fine looking blade! I am trying to avoid Taiwan, China, etc. but it is a challenge. Benchmade is the only one I've found so far made in the U.S. A dive knife isn't used often but when I need it I want it to do what it's supposed to, I've had my current one for 10 years and it's about to give up the ghost

What's wrong with Benchmade? Also what kind of diving tool do you need? You need to get out of "diving knife" mode, and get into useful tool mode. The little stubby knives you see on many cave divers started out by taking steak knives and grinding the tips off.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=54

Amazon.com : Benchmade 7 BLKW Model 7 - Rescue Hook/Strap Cutter : Fixed Blade Camping Knives : Sports & Outdoors
Best line cutter out there, much better for cutting out of lines, webbing, etc. That is 99.9% of what you will be risking getting caught in.

Amazon.com : Benchmade H2O River and Dive Fixed Blade Knife, PIM, Yellow 112S-YEL : Sports & Outdoors
This is a better dive tool than their actual dive knife, only issue is the sheath doesn't accept 2" webbing. Does come with a leg strap though

I already have a zeagle line cutter, I am looking for a basic titanium knife that's made in the U.S. There isn't anything wrong with the Benchmade knife, it's the mechanism that holds it in the sheath that doesn't work well. I am looking at the Atomic Aquatics Ti6

Titanium so it doesn't rust mainly. It can be completely disassembled for cleaning, the Benchmade can't. The Benchmade is also a lot smaller, the Ti6 has a good size handle. I have large hands

The Tekna is USA and occasionally available in titanium. I have three and one is lovely ti. I love them, best scuba knife ever. Yes cave duvers use cut down steak knives but I am not cave diving and need and use a real knife. The Tekna is smallish but not too small.

Thank you, Nemrod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom