Made in china "Scuba" air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've regularly cried over the price of dive gear on eBay, the coast of freight and import tax to NZ is a killer.
I looked at importing the pump only and putting a new drive motor and filters that are easy and cheap enough to find here, but then I'm just left with a pump like any other, hence the question, why can't I just use a little 2stage pump that can run on a single phase electric motor.... And here we are...
I think there are few posters who have the liquidity and DIY spirit to experiment with one of these. Methinks it would just be for the experience, as at the end it would likely not be practical.

Pardon me if my reply repeats or misses what someone else contributed. I got a notice of this thread this morning, I'm at work, and I haven't got time to read through all of the entries.

While I am still using and still impressed with my "Cheap Chinese Filter System", I can't say the same for those one and two cylinder Chinese compressors. I was following them awhile back and asking alot of the same questions posed here, but eventually learned that the physical limitations rule them out for diving air.

Heat is the main problem. Heat causes dieseling of the lubricant which makes carbon monoxide. Heat causes them to wear out. You just can't get the pumping capacity out of one or two small cylinders, Yes it works okay for the small tanks of an air rifle. But filling 80 cf Scuba tanks is just too much for them. You see videos of owners hooking up water lines to cool down these compressors. I saw these compressors getting more and more improvements to resolve the issue... Saw one with actual radiators included. And the more they improved, the closer the cost got to just buying a real 4-cylinder scuba compressor like the Coltri MCH-6.

I've seen ones labeled DAV that look like copies of the MCH-6... And they cost close to the same... So why not be safe and buy the original?

I am currently running a 1980's Coltri MCH-6 that I bought for $200 used, and basically just cleaned it up and serviced it. I also run an old RIX SA-3 that I bought for $750, cleaned up and serviced. Last year I treated myself to a brand new Alkin W31 Mariner that cost $3500... Just braggin' now... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom