Made in china "Scuba" air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseamurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So Ive been seeing a lot of these affordable air compressors from china on eBay, claiming in the title that it can fill a scuba bottle, but Im pretty sure this won't fill a bottle, at least not to 3000 psi. I can also imagine even if it can be filled all the way, It won't be safe to breath. I can never find any reviews about them either. Has anyone used them before for scuba? I could be wrong about all this as well lol

Heres an example of one

DAVV High Pressure Air Compressor Paintball PCP Airgun Rifle Scuba Tank Filling, | eBay

There was a interesting bit of debate here recently where a certain Frenchman felt we were all fools avoiding them...

I just look at the manufacturer's information as highlighted....

upload_2018-8-13_23-13-5.png

I'll stick to the proper products...

YMMV

So Ive been seeing a lot of these affordable air compressors from china on eBay, claiming in the title that it can fill a scuba bottle, but Im pretty sure this won't fill a bottle, at least not to 3000 psi. I can also imagine even if it can be filled all the way, It won't be safe to breath. I can never find any reviews about them either. Has anyone used them before for scuba? I could be wrong about all this as well lol

Heres an example of one

DAVV High Pressure Air Compressor Paintball PCP Airgun Rifle Scuba Tank Filling, | eBay
What part of:
This Pump can be used to fill the tank for PCP Air Gun Paintball Tanks, only for less than 2 Liter tanks, can't be used for scuba diving breathing cylinder filling
is hard to understand?

The item description says “can’t be used for scuba diving breathing filling” so that’s pretty obvious but the title in the eBay listing is misleading.

The DAV V has zero filtration and the quality of manufacturing leaves something to be desired. There are lots of others that are out there that the paintball and air gun folks are buying. My legal advisor has told me NOT to touch them since a few have exploded.

Here we go again. Go ahead - buy one, fill your scuba tank and be eligible for a Darwin Award. The air from these things simply is not breathable.

I'm looking for a bit more of a scientific answer to the same question. All compressors rely on filters to remove oil or water, so why can't they be added to a small single piston 2 stage compressor like these?
I am aware the heat produced will make it a slow process and that there is some coin required to add filter and probably pressure maintaining systems. But if the end result is a cost effective portable compressor that's actually portable then why not? I wouldn't go for dirt cheap Chinese piece of crap, but the same compression method as what we are talking about here.
I'm from NZ so to import a full size one isn't practical, most privately owned high pressure compressors are home built or old as.
I am looking for answers from people smarter than me, that's not setting the bar high, so please don't tell me it's a stupid idea unless you can tell me why!

I am looking for answers from people smarter than me, that's not setting the bar high, so please don't tell me it's a stupid idea unless you can tell me why!
I'm from the school of thought that says don't tell me something like this is a GOOD idea without documenting why...
Perhaps that all depends on the non-specific hypothetical addition of an as-yet-to-be-determined filtration system.

if you buy life support equipment from a company that says its not for that use .....you get what you deserve ..plus even if it was life support id treat it like it was disposal equipment as I would be surprised if any would repair it ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom