Macro/muck diving, looking for a Rainbow Unicorn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudibranchs, meh.
First time I saw these was Sabang (Isla Verde) Philippines.
1FEF215A-ED84-4568-A37E-4377EA00A2E8.jpeg
2B9C8E8C-1EDF-4453-8C97-6C3AA6219E02.jpeg

They pop under UV light, with a 5meg point and shoot

Ambon, just one operator at the moment. Excellent muck diving. Alor, two operators with very good reef diving and very good muck. Both a bit hard to get to but worth it. In Alor we saw the divers from the other operator once in a week - on the boat not in the water. Currents make one site only occasionally diveable so both go on the same day. Neither is inexpensive however.

Muck. Nudis. Being alone or not bothered on a dive site.
Ok got it, this is where I wet my fins too.

Tulamben, one of the best place for nudis - and a very large area- really beats the *ss of all other places on variety plus some of the best macro guides. Nudis are so small though. People might object there are crowds on the Liberty. I haven't dived the Liberty for years even though I come back twice a year. The trick is to go with a private guide, they're either included or not expensive at all. With a good freelance guide or a specialized resort like Villa Utama, you'll be almost alone (or probably with just me and my guide :D ) on lesser frequented sites.

Anilao, great for larger/coral nudibranches (particularly Phyllodesmium sp.) : you don't get the same experience with or without a private guide (who can be much more expensive than Tulamben). Try diving with freelances such as anyone of the Corpuz family (Dennis, Obet, ..).

Lembeh is fine for all sorts of nudis : the main problem is that you dive on from a boat which means other divers with you around. Hiring the boat for you might be too expensive. Except maybe at @Indah 's place?

Tawali/Milne bay PNG Lauadi/Dinah's beach, probably the BEST spot I have ever dived for nudis. How about 3 or 4 Cyerce nigra in one dive. expensive to go though.

Sangean island / NE Sumbawa : volcano island that you access from Kalimaya resort or LiveAboard. I thought I was in Tulamben, even for the donut doto. You'd be sure to dive on your own but it's not guranteed to access, though Kalimaya does muck dives around their resort. BUT it's not a muck dedicated operation (alike Alor operations where wall/coral dives are more often proposed than muck)

Other places I've been which I find great for macro but not specially for nudis : Ambon (Rhinopias, shrimps : bumblebee, coleman or tozeuma, froggies incl psychedelic...), Alor (Rhinopias & froggies but not so outstanding for the rest), Dauin (it's raining froggies and GPF, not so much nudi variety mainly sapsucking slugs).

Places I have not been but read/heard good things about :

Romblon PH may be the place you're looking for. Very few resorts (Main one is Three Ps), takes an overnight ferry to go. Best place for the iconic ghost Melibe colemani.

Surprizingly outside of Asia, Madagascar - Nosy Be (I'll be diving there in 3 months hopefully) . There's one dive centre specialized in small group diving for nudibranches. They regularly display images on their Facebook wall : I didn't think there were so many in Madagascar. There are also rhinopias, shrimps of all sorts... I need to check it out.

Muck. Nudis. Being alone or not bothered on a dive site.
Ok got it, this is where I wet my fins too.

Tulamben, one of the best place for nudis - and a very large area- really beats the *ss of all other places on variety plus some of the best macro guides. Nudis are so small though. People might object there are crowds on the Liberty. I haven't dived the Liberty for years even though I come back twice a year. The trick is to go with a private guide, they're either included or not expensive at all. With a good freelance guide or a specialized resort like Villa Utama, you'll be almost alone (or probably with just me and my guide :D ) on lesser frequented sites.

Anilao, great for larger/coral nudibranches (particularly Phyllodesmium sp.) : you don't get the same experience with or without a private guide (who can be much more expensive than Tulamben). Try diving with freelances such as anyone of the Corpuz family (Dennis, Obet, ..).

Lembeh is fine for all sorts of nudis : the main problem is that you dive on from a boat which means other divers with you around. Hiring the boat for you might be too expensive. Except maybe at @Indah 's place?

Tawali/Milne bay PNG Lauadi/Dinah's beach, probably the BEST spot I have ever dived for nudis. How about 3 or 4 Cyerce nigra in one dive. expensive to go though.

Sangean island / NE Sumbawa : volcano island that you access from Kalimaya resort or LiveAboard. I thought I was in Tulamben, even for the donut doto. You'd be sure to dive on your own but it's not guranteed to access, though Kalimaya does muck dives around their resort. BUT it's not a muck dedicated operation (alike Alor operations where wall/coral dives are more often proposed than muck)

Other places I've been which I find great for macro but not specially for nudis : Ambon (Rhinopias, shrimps : bumblebee, coleman or tozeuma, froggies incl psychedelic...), Alor (Rhinopias & froggies but not so outstanding for the rest), Dauin (it's raining froggies and GPF, not so much nudi variety mainly sapsucking slugs).

Places I have not been but read/heard good things about :

Romblon PH may be the place you're looking for. Very few resorts (Main one is Three Ps), takes an overnight ferry to go. Best place for the iconic ghost Melibe colemani.

Surprizingly outside of Asia, Madagascar - Nosy Be (I'll be diving there in 3 months hopefully) . There's one dive centre specialized in small group diving for nudibranches. They regularly display images on their Facebook wall : I didn't think there were so many in Madagascar. There are also rhinopias, shrimps of all sorts... I need to check it out.
Thank you for mentioning us. Indeed at Divers Lodge Lembeh having your private boat is the standard. And we can offer this unique service for rates other dive resorts cannot compete with. We can do this because we do not have to employ, rather expensive, foreigners and we do not have to pay any commission to travel agents. Because we live as a family also on the Lodge we keep our overhead as low as possible.
I am very happy that we can offer diving now in the way I would prefer it myself as well. Private boat, private guide and no limits on dive time. Dive your own schedule.

I'm starting to plan my next big adventure and am looking for great macro/muck diving, but I don't want to deal with 40 other divers at the same site (hence the rainbow unicorn)

By way of explanation, in October/November '22 I took a 4 week 'bucket list' trip to Komodo/Papau Indonesia. The Komodo section was on a LOB, but I really am not a fan of big currents, and while pelagics are cool, nudi's are what that gets me excited. I then lucked out with a segment to Triton Bay. Fantastic diving, the only people diving were from the small resort. I was told if a LOB showed up, Leza would find out where they wanted to dive and would go somewhere else. I followed this with a session in Raja Ampat. Large operation (Papau Explorers), way too many people loving Raja Ampat to death. It was like Cozumel on steroids. At one site (Blue Magic, IIRC) there were more divers than fish and the surface interval was on an island with >100 people on it. That and the muck diving with Papau Explorers was over hyped and frankly not all that good (picture dirty gray sand with dirty gray critters)

What I'd like is a "Triton Bay" type experience for muck. (Wakatobi is out of my price range) I don't mind (too much) if it is difficult to get to, the days of easy access and no crowds are long gone. My understanding is that the Philippines suffer the Raja Ampat syndrome of being loved to death. I've been muck diving in Tulamben, that is the quality of macro/muck I'd like to find

I appreciate this is a true First World problem, suggestions are most appreciated
I was introduced to muck diving in the Philippines.
AMAZING dive Resort called Liquid Dumagete!!
Highly recommend.
Not overly touristy at all. In fact the dm and I were the only 2 at numerous muck sites.

I was introduced to muck diving in the Philippines.
AMAZING dive Resort called Liquid Dumagete!!
Highly recommend.
Not overly touristy at all. In fact the dm and I were the only 2 at numerous muck sites.

Oh and very close to Sipidan has amazing muck diving too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom