Macro/muck diving, looking for a Rainbow Unicorn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm starting to plan my next big adventure and am looking for great macro/muck diving, but I don't want to deal with 40 other divers at the same site (hence the rainbow unicorn)

By way of explanation, in October/November '22 I took a 4 week 'bucket list' trip to Komodo/Papau Indonesia. The Komodo section was on a LOB, but I really am not a fan of big currents, and while pelagics are cool, nudi's are what that gets me excited. I then lucked out with a segment to Triton Bay. Fantastic diving, the only people diving were from the small resort. I was told if a LOB showed up, Leza would find out where they wanted to dive and would go somewhere else. I followed this with a session in Raja Ampat. Large operation (Papau Explorers), way too many people loving Raja Ampat to death. It was like Cozumel on steroids. At one site (Blue Magic, IIRC) there were more divers than fish and the surface interval was on an island with >100 people on it. That and the muck diving with Papau Explorers was over hyped and frankly not all that good (picture dirty gray sand with dirty gray critters)

What I'd like is a "Triton Bay" type experience for muck. (Wakatobi is out of my price range) I don't mind (too much) if it is difficult to get to, the days of easy access and no crowds are long gone. My understanding is that the Philippines suffer the Raja Ampat syndrome of being loved to death. I've been muck diving in Tulamben, that is the quality of macro/muck I'd like to find

I appreciate this is a true First World problem, suggestions are most appreciated

Loved to death? I understand, but muck is muck.

I have had, at a bargain price, fabulous muck diving right of Sabang Beach (oft misnomered as Puerto Galera).

Nothing is immune to man’s attentions, but I have overheated my battery packs discharging them so rapidly with a stream of photo opportunities.

I’ve spent way more money to see the same stuff at other destinations. BTW, really liked Hotel Atlantis Dive op, very accommodating as they would do two night dives each day for us… and keep a plate of food waiting at our finish at 11pm.

[ If I have only 1 week, macro a’plenty at Coco View, on the South shore of Roatan. There is so much there that most simply can not see. ]

I'm returning to Tulamben again this year after two trips last last year and will be my sixth visit as I just can't get enough of it.

Easy access and flights are part of my criteria as well as quiet sites.

That said, in December 2019, my daughter and I dived in Negros Oriental PI at a place called Zamboanguita just south of Dauin and had some amazing macro diving just off the beach (black volcanic sand). If you want details of the dive op I can provide them, just need to look up my dive logs. Apo Island is a short ride away for some amazing reef diving too.

I enjoyed Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao. They offer photography workshops, including a nudi workshop with Terry Gosliner.
The guides will find even the tiniest nudi for you, or they will let you roam around solo to find your own.
1675184480489.png

1675184517880.png

1675184555388.png

1675184588089.png

1675184620303.png

1675184684188.png

I enjoyed Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao. They offer photography workshops, including a nudi workshop with Terry Gosliner.
The guides will find even the tiniest nudi for you, or they will let you roam around solo to find your own.
View attachment 767111

View attachment 767112

View attachment 767113

View attachment 767114

View attachment 767115

View attachment 767116

As much as I don't like nudies, these are great photo indeed.

I would also recommend Anilao and Puerto Galera in the Philippines. Could easily spend time in both locations. I like staying at El Galleon and diving with on site op Asia Divers in Puerto Galera (technically Sabang), as mentioned by @Doc - Atlantis is a nice play to stay, as mentioned, but a bit more expensive than El Galleon, if $$ is an issue. I'd recommend checking out the Bluewater Dive Travel website for additional info and costs: Best Diving in the Philippines - Top 9
and Puerto Galera and Anilao

There’s macro…
And there’s micro:
C19332CA-4758-4D1C-8C1E-88EC6C6CBEEA.jpeg
660F0BF5-B803-4E94-B5AA-208F0F2F6735.jpeg

With an Olympus point & shoot 5meg

Anilao and Lembeh are well known world class macro destinations. And Tulamben of course you've been to. And there's Ambon which is world class too.

You wont find 100 people on a site in Lembeh, operations are supposed to limit it to 16 on a site. Anilao at times can get busy especially if a rare or popular critter is known to be lurking about. Many resorts in Anilao have confusing and expensive dive pricing where you pay for boat-guide separate. Buceo Anilao has all in pricing and a good choice. And besides Anilao, Dauin is also known for excellent muck. ( I fell in love with muck diving there many years ago)

Ambon only has a few operators or maybee even one now, but critter dense.

Time of year can also affect crowds and critter selection. What time of year are you looking at?

I'm starting to plan my next big adventure and am looking for great macro/muck diving, but I don't want to deal with 40 other divers at the same site (hence the rainbow unicorn)

By way of explanation, in October/November '22 I took a 4 week 'bucket list' trip to Komodo/Papau Indonesia. The Komodo section was on a LOB, but I really am not a fan of big currents, and while pelagics are cool, nudi's are what that gets me excited. I then lucked out with a segment to Triton Bay. Fantastic diving, the only people diving were from the small resort. I was told if a LOB showed up, Leza would find out where they wanted to dive and would go somewhere else. I followed this with a session in Raja Ampat. Large operation (Papau Explorers), way too many people loving Raja Ampat to death. It was like Cozumel on steroids. At one site (Blue Magic, IIRC) there were more divers than fish and the surface interval was on an island with >100 people on it. That and the muck diving with Papau Explorers was over hyped and frankly not all that good (picture dirty gray sand with dirty gray critters)

What I'd like is a "Triton Bay" type experience for muck. (Wakatobi is out of my price range) I don't mind (too much) if it is difficult to get to, the days of easy access and no crowds are long gone. My understanding is that the Philippines suffer the Raja Ampat syndrome of being loved to death. I've been muck diving in Tulamben, that is the quality of macro/muck I'd like to find

I appreciate this is a true First World problem, suggestions are most appreciated

I was recently in Tulamben it was good. After that I went to Bohol. Lot's of nudi's there and not overcrowded. PG Leyte Anilao and other places already mentioned. I paid Philippine Peso 40,000 for my 30 dives and 7 days of my two weeks diving were to Balicasag Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom