Mac friendly Dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Im in the market for a new dive computer.

My old computer (Smart Tec) has older software and the Smart Trak software is not supported on Mac.

I need to delete my pairing on my transmitter and unfortunately I dont have a Windows operating computer that will allow me to do so via infrared cable. This sucks !

So......Ive decided my next purchase would be more Mac OS friendly

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Positives or negatives welcome..

NR77

I love my Shearwater Predator no cable to buy because its Bluetooth and works well on Mac with the Shearwater Desktop or Macdive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 AM ----------

I think budget and diving style may be an important piece of information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The Petrel is very easy to use with either Macdive or the Shearwater mac dive log software (which isn't as fuzzy as Macdive, but does offer much more useful dive profile charts and better dive import functionality). My Cobalt also works well with Macdive, even though having to plug in a USB cable is annoying because I've been spoiled by my Shearwaters' bluetooth connection.

It sounds like you're a wrist mount, wireless AI diver, though. I have no idea what works with Mac in that niche because I don't have any experience with it.

Stay away from Liquivision products. The DiveLog software runs on a Mac but is basically useless. I sent them suggestions, all ignored as expected. Looking to get a Shearwater later this year.

I know that Shearwater computers work great with Mac, not to mention are Bluetooth!

My Liquivision X1 was a pain - I had to find a PC to upload the firmware to the dive computer. MacDive doesn't support it either. I sent an email to Liquivision AND MacDive a while back and was basically told "tough luck" but in more polite terms.
The Vplanner Dive Log software that came with the Liquivision, however, works great on OSX. There are a few bugs but it is quite useable.
I use the CMD+SHIFT+4 screenshot function to export the dives from Vplanner Dive Log as images to add into MacDive. The MacDive profiles themselves I import from my backup computer/guage/bottom timer, which is an Oceanic Geo2. So basically I merge everything manually, and keep the end result in MacDive.

My next dive computer, if I had to choose one right now, would probably be a Shearwater Petrel.
I have no personal experience using it with my (or any) Mac, but I hear syncing dive logs and updating firmware is a breeze.

If you want to have a full list of "good" Mac / OSX dive computers for MacDive (best software around -- just wish they would add basic support for my X1! grrrrr), check out this link: http://www.mac-dive.com/devices.php
Out of all those listed on that page, Shearwater is by far my best recommendation.

All or almost all the Sunnto computers are Mac compatible with MacDive and Dive Log all that is needed is the USB cable from Sunnto or a third party, there was one on Germany on eBay.

Im in the market for a new dive computer.

My old computer (Smart Tec) has older software and the Smart Trak software is not supported on Mac.

I need to delete my pairing on my transmitter and unfortunately I dont have a Windows operating computer that will allow me to do so via infrared cable. This sucks !

So......Ive decided my next purchase would be more Mac OS friendly

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Positives or negatives welcome..

NR77

You're going to hate this. . . but most all dive computers known to mankind are supported by SubSurface (Subsurface | An open source divelog)

Freeware, works brilliantly, what's not to like. . .

So choose the computer you like best. Your choice of computer OS(s) doesn't make a difference

You're going to hate this. . . but most all dive computers known to mankind are supported by SubSurface (Subsurface | An open source divelog)

WOW!

Never knew that Linus Torvalds was a diver.

Never heard of this before just now. Looks pretty nice.
Appears that I can also export dives from MacDive into this. XML support.

Funny, not even this software package supports the Liquivision X1... d'oh...

The Shearwater Predator and Petrel are a piece of cake. The Liquivision Xeo and Xen are no problem either, but the X1 needs a Windows based system for the initial software install(only), which Parallels and a Windows system can handle.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom