Mac & Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hover-Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So it seems that (as with many areas in software) that having a Mac leaves a lot to be desired in the Dive Computer world...or does it? I have a "new" MacBook Pro and I'm running Parallels (which is cool, but I reeeeeally don't want to use it for my dive log). I'd LOVE to be able to use my MacBook to do all my computer downloads and store my dive data....but it seems that most of the manufacturers only support Windows based PC's (and marketing-wise they should...makes a better portion of the market available, etc.)

But what I have found are these two programs for the Mac OS X that allow download from Suunto computers:
DiveLog
MacDive - Download

These pretty much support ALL Suunto computers (except the newest ones).

So here's my question...I'm in the market to buy a relatively inexpensive Watch Computer and now that I've learned that the Gekko can be downloaded using these two programs on the Mac. I can get a new one for $250 at LeisurePro. OR go what seems to be a step higher and get a Vyper for $350 or a Vyper2 for $400.

Should I be looking at other manufacturers besides Suunto? Do other companies have support for Mac users? This is my first dive computer and being downloadable is very high on my list of features, as well as nitrox capable. I dont need gas switching or decompression diving, but gauge mode would be nice.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

You're right that those two Mac programs support Suunto. If I'm not mistaken, t0w who is the developer of MacDive uses a comm library from TnT. That library can support some other computers, though they're not yet integrated into MacDive.

I prefer computers with big numbers in case you're ever in low vis or darkness, so I'd go with the Vyper myself.

Go with the flow, USMCPayne. Get a Suunto dive computer. Use it with MacDive (donationware). It works great.

My gf has a Gekko. I have a Mosquito. We use a Suunto serial download cable with serial-to-USB cable to download our profiles to our Macs. No compatibility issues at all.

If I were in the market for a dive computer, nitrox capability would be a must. Gauge mode would also be a useful feature. In light of this, the Vyper would be a good choice. One of my dive buddies owns one...and speaks highly of it. I recommend getting the DSS bungee boot for it and wearing it on your wrist.

Some people have an issue with the conservative RGBM algorithm of Suunto computers. For the diving that I do, it really isn't a big deal. YMMV.

Have fun with your computer purchase.

Go with the flow, USMCPayne. Get a Suunto dive computer. Use it with MacDive (donationware). It works great.

If I were in the market for a dive computer, nitrox capability would be a must. Gauge mode would also be a useful feature. In light of this, the Vyper would be a good choice. One of my dive buddies owns one...and speaks highly of it. I recommend getting the DSS bungee boot for it and wearing it on your wrist.

Some people have an issue with the conservative RGBM algorithm of Suunto computers. For the diving that I do, it really isn't a big deal. YMMV.

Have fun with your computer purchase.

+1 What he said! Besides the developer is right here on Scubaboard and it's pretty good about addressing any request or issues that may come up. He's also working on supporting other computers with MacDive.

Check out this thread

The other option is to buy a Sensus Ultra recorder, which has OS X support, and then buy whichever computer you want.

I'm not sure that making a decision on a dive computer purchase should be based on the OS of your PC?

I don't like Suunto because they are VERY conservative, and don't *appear* to take into account multi-level profiles. I don't own a Suunto, but based on recent postings, this appears to be true. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I dive an Aeris, and this from the manual:

Aeris Epic Manual:
As you ascend from Depth following a dive that has approached the No Decompression Limit, the Nitrogen Bar Graph segments will recede as control shifts to slower compartments. This is a feature of the Decompression Model that is the basis for Multi-level Diving, one of the most important advantages that AERIS dive computes offer.

When next at BH, I'm going to try and find someone diving a Suunto. I'm curious to see the difference. My Aeris computers can go from 4 bars to 3 bars during a dive, so credit for slow ascents, and deep stops is something I have witnessed. This can also happen during shallow safety stops.

As I've become a more experienced diver, I have pushed my NDL more especially during vacation diving. So far, so good, but I'm at the point where I will need a deco class if I want to stay down longer! :D However the last thing I need is a computer to does not take into account deep stops, or multi-level profiles, and may lock me out. My Epic does deco, so while I've never had a deco obligation, if I were to run into that, I would just do it if at all possible.

I'm not sure that making a decision on a dive computer purchase should be based on the OS of your PC?

It's not based entirely on the OS of my computer, however, having an electronic dive log is very important to me (I'm a gadget head...hell I'm an Electrical Engineer). I'm working with a MacBook, and thus whatever computer I buy must be able to work with that. What good is it going to be for me to buy mid-grade to high-end computer that has the ability to download your data...but not be able to do so because it's not compatible with my MacBook?

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I believe most macs these days can run a windows based OS. It is your decision, but I think a computer that is less conservative allows one to be as conservative as they choose, but the opposite is not true.

Have fun, and dive safe!

I only owned a Mac for a couple of weeks before I took it back like the stink bomb it was because Mac has very little real world software--but---in Parallels---refresh my memory for that application on a Mac, cannot you drag the file from the Windows desktop on to the Mac desktop?

N, PC with Ubunto Linux on Parrallels

I don't like Suunto because they are VERY conservative, and don't *appear* to take into account multi-level profiles. I don't own a Suunto, but based on recent postings, this appears to be true. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I dive an Aeris, and this from the manual:

When next at BH, I'm going to try and find someone diving a Suunto. I'm curious to see the difference. My Aeris computers can go from 4 bars to 3 bars during a dive, so credit for slow ascents, and deep stops is something I have witnessed. This can also happen during shallow safety stops.

As I've become a more experienced diver, I have pushed my NDL more especially during vacation diving. So far, so good, but I'm at the point where I will need a deco class if I want to stay down longer! :D However the last thing I need is a computer to does not take into account deep stops, or multi-level profiles, and may lock me out. My Epic does deco, so while I've never had a deco obligation, if I were to run into that, I would just do it if at all possible.

In fact Ron, the Suunto computers do exactly what is described in your Aeris manual. In fact, if you have some knowledge of the algorithm, & avoid those things that it will penalise you for it's not that different to any other computer until you get into multiple dives over multiple days & the newer 1's even have deep stops.

Are Suuntos the best dive computer, probably not. Is RGBM inherently more conservative than many other algorithms, probably yes, but it depends on what manifestation is being used & how it's being implemented as to just how conservative it is. As RGBM & Suunto are both proprietary about the only thing that can be said for certain is that Suunto isn't using a fully iterative version of RGBM in it's computers.

My X1 does deco, but I think its pretty silly to compare it to a group of computers that were designed to do non stop dives. The Epic algorithm is based on the PADI/DSAT RDP. To the best of my knowledge this algorithm has only been validated for non stop diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom