Mac & Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a MacBook Pro and use the Windows side for one other program. I use ScubaPro/Uwatec computers because that is what my shop sells. My problem is the infared interface between the two. ScubaPro sells a Dongle ($90) that they say will work. I have tried other infared readers that my computer recognizes but it will not accept the data from the dive computer. There is a software program that is written for ScubaPro but is much less detailed than the PC version. Does anyone have any experience with a cheaper but good interface for this problem?

I have a MacBook Pro and use the Windows side for one other program. I use ScubaPro/Uwatec computers because that is what my shop sells. My problem is the infared interface between the two. ScubaPro sells a Dongle ($90) that they say will work. I have tried other infared readers that my computer recognizes but it will not accept the data from the dive computer. There is a software program that is written for ScubaPro but is much less detailed than the PC version. Does anyone have any experience with a cheaper but good interface for this problem?
@AggieDad: CompuDude had some very good suggestions regarding the ScubaPro/Uwatec IR interface with Macs on this particular thread on another site. Check it out. It has links for cheap interface cables and reports of success with just your setup. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

@AggieDad: CompuDude had some very good suggestions regarding the ScubaPro/Uwatec IR interface with Macs on this particular thread on another site. Check it out. It has links for cheap interface cables and reports of success with just your setup. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Huh? :confused:

If I read that thread correctly he's saying you can use the USB1510 for Windows, but it won't work under JTrak for OS X.

Unfortunately, to get JTrak to download a Uwatec computer you'll either need the Uwatec IrDA device or an exact clone of it. Any old IrDA device won't work, because the JTrak author (n.b. An outfit named Frobese, which is neither Uwatec nor Johnson Outdoors) has hardwired their app to only recognize the Uwatec IrDA device (which is $65 plus shipping from LP and $99 but not stocked by most Scubapro/Uwatec dealers). Frobese claims "JTrak supports nearly all standard USB infrared interfaces for Apple computers" which of course is complete hogwash. The Sigmatel IrDA interface they specifically list apparently hasn't been manufactured in years. All for an app that has less than half the features of SmartTrak.

Still, this half measure is better than anything you are ever going to get out of the lawyer/engineer hybrid that designs Suunto computers :rolleyes: , and Oceanic could care less about your problem (don't take my word for it, call them yourselves and ask).

I'm not sure that making a decision on a dive computer purchase should be based on the OS of your PC?
LOL! Its always easy to pick out the Windows users. Thanks for that Ron, I'm sure we'll all take that into account. :no: I'm not ever sure why you are trolling this thread, since you obviously don't use a Mac in the first place.

... cannot you drag the file from the Windows desktop on to the Mac desktop?
And do what with it? Like most applications, it has its own proprietary file format. What program are you going to open it with? And would you buy a copy of Windows just to run one program from a virtual inside of Linux? I didn't think so.

To everyone in this thread who actually has Mac: For the amount of money you'd spend to buy that standalone copy of XP or Vista, Mac users would be far better off following Mr. Goodman's advice to buy the Sensus Ultra to download dive profiles, etc. independent of what bottom timer or computer you are using. You can use their own Sensus Manager program, and most Mac dive logging apps also support it.

IMO, buying the brands that are effectively giving us the finger (I'm lookin' at you, Suunto and Oceanic) only encourages them to ignore us.

YMMV, but probably not.

The Sigmatel IrDA interface they specifically list apparently hasn't been manufactured in years.

Haha, I used to work for SigmaTel when they made those and was on the IrDA team. You wouldn't want them even if they were still being made, they're hunks of junk. But I have 2 left over if you want to buy one hahaha.

So it still looks like Suunto is the best integrated solution w/ MacDive. Gonna be hard to beat a Vyper2 at LeisurePro for $399. The functionality it has (gas switching and gauge mode) and the ability to download to my Mac is a really high selling point.

I will say one thing as far as the Suuntos and the desktop software. Don't feel too deprived that Suunto doesn't have Dive Manager on the Mac, cause it sucks big time on the PC. You are better off with 3rd party software, which might not exist if they'd released SDM on the Mac.

I've tried the trial of DiveLog, it's not perfect, but pretty decent and miles better than SDM, and I will probably get it. I haven't tried MacDive cause I haven't upgraded to Leopard yet and have no other reason to do so. Plus, it apparently only supports one user under an account which I don't like.

Well i agree that your choice of dive computer should not be influenced by the OS of your desktop.
How much time are you going to spend with the software anyways? Go on trip -- do 20 dives -- download and look at pretty graph -- now what?

I have not been able to get Divelog to work because it will not work with my iogear usb/serial adpter.

Macdive will work with that adapter.

Suunto DM on Windows XP will also work with that adapter.

Well i agree that your choice of dive computer should not be influenced by the OS of your desktop.
How much time are you going to spend with the software anyways? Go on trip -- do 20 dives -- download and look at pretty graph -- now what?

That's not the point. The point is not having to run Windows at all. Why get a computer that only works on Windows when nothing else I use runs on Windows? It's about buying a computer that works with what I've got already, without the hassle of using an entirely different operating system just to see my dive information.

And as a Dive Master Candidate and future Instructor, I plan to spend a fair amount of time with my dive log studying it and making adjustments to my diving.

You guys just don't get it. Windows people will never understand why on Earth you do not want to run Windows - for any reason. Trying to make them understand is like trying to teach pigs to read. It frustrates you and annoys the pigs. So why bother?

FWIW, I agree with the notion that paying for Windows so you can run one or two programs just makes no sense. Hell, even pirating Windows and running it for free makes no sense - because - after all - if you wanted to run windows, you would go out and buy a $300 laptop for it, not a Macbook.

So - all that said - I use Suunto computers with my various Macs. I also bought DiveLog (DiveLog). It's pretty cheap, even if it is annoying that I had to buy it make my Suuntos as useful as they are supposed to be. Also annoying that I had to spend $100 on a data cable to make it work. Anyway, like someone posted above, it's not perfect, but it does a decent job. I'm not sorry I spent the $30 or whatever on it. As for MacDive - I tried it a few times and found it to be a nice effort, but simply unusable because it supports only one user data file. That can be avoided by playing games with switching out the data file and accounts and such, but really, if you want to put up with that sort of lameness, you may as well get Windows.

I like the idea of the Sensus device. I do plan to get one when my budget allows. That will provide some nice backup data functionality in case my computer goes **** up for one reason or another.

Good luck!
ND

Mac options for dive computers:

1) Suunto, using DiveLog. 100% Native Mac, although not manufacturer endorsed, if that matters.
2) Uwatec, using jTrak and the Uwatec (or compatible) IR interface. 100% native Mac, although not as fully-featured as the Windows SmartTrak software. Manufacturer-endorsed, but not especially well-maintained, IMO.
3) Oceanic, if you don't mind waiting for Oceanic to get off their duff and release some Mac software, and using Parallels/VMware in the meantime.
4) Sensus Ultra recorder, plus any computer you want. Sensus has 100% OSX native software.

I don't see much point to arguing about algorithms in a thread about Mac options for dive computers... that discussion should have it's own thread.

I'll agree that I'm not a fan of Suunto's overly-conservative algorithm, however. I prefer Uwatec, with Oceanic as a close second. I'd generally recommend Oceanic to a newer diver, since they're more user-friendly out of the box, and Uwatec to a more advanced diver.

I have both Macs and PCs, and while I've dabbled with jTrak, I like SmartTrak much better. If I was Mac-only, I'd probably use SmartTrak under Parallels. I don't mind Parallels in the slightest, especially considering how rarely (relatively) the software actually gets used. If you're diving more than twice per week, maybe it would be annoying? But even at twice per week, it just doesn't seem like a hardship to fire it up. I then import my logs to DivingLog's excellent software, and load it into companion software on my iPhone for ease of reference. (Before, I would load the Uwatec IR directly into AquaDiveLog on my Treo, which then imported automatically into SmartTrak.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom