Luxor after Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am travelling to Marsa Alam to dive on a liveaboard and plan to spend 4 days in Luxor this fall. Trying to decide between self directed sightseeing from a hotel in Luxor and a Nile river barge trip from Luxor to Aswan that includes guides and stops to sightsee. Thoughts???

I toured Luxor before a liveaboard a few years ago, but I know nothing about the barge trips. I believe @scubadada did one from Luxor to Aswan.

Self-directed should be fine, but a knowledgeable guide can make all the difference. Engaging a guide beforehand, rather than at each site, is probably a good idea.

In October-November of 2019 I did 2 liveaboards, then followed up with a Nile cruise. The Nile cruise commenced in Luxor and terminated in Aswan--a very comfortable, informative trip. The logistics were seamless. I opted for the Aggressor package, but finagled my own surface transit prior to the 1st liveaboard to avoid rip-off (in my opinion) prices.

Our Nile cruise was wonderful: comfy accommodation, delicious food, excellent guide, brilliant sight-seeing.

Unfortunately, I found some of the locals to be aggressive and bold--this was based on interactions in Cairo, close to the Pyramids. For example, when I left my hotel to find a restaurant some people seated at bars/restaurants would call out to me--or bystanders would gesture in a mocking fashion. The Nile cruise provided a "comfort zone" wherein I did not feel hassled. I have travelled widely over the decades. The only other time I have felt a similar level of discomfort was in Morocco, back in the 70's!

I enjoyed Egypt, and would happily return.

. . .
Unfortunately, I found some of the locals to be aggressive and bold--this was based on interactions in Cairo, close to the Pyramids. For example, when I left my hotel to find a restaurant some people seated at bars/restaurants would call out to me--or bystanders would gesture in a mocking fashion. The Nile cruise provided a "comfort zone" wherein I did not feel hassled. I have travelled widely over the decades. . . .

Great point about a Nile cruise serving as a "comfort zone" after the constant bombardment with solicitations in the cities.

Hi @Darnold9999

I did a Nile River trip in 2016, sounds like there are still very few tourists, a big advantage to the traveler, We had a wonderful guide/Egyptologist. There are several advantages. The extra information provided is priceless. In addition, they protect you from the overly aggressive hawkers. Nothing like a local to effectively deal with the locals.

If you have a chance, I would opt in for a day trip to Abu Simbel, We flew to and from Aswan. It was a major highlight of our trip.

upload_2021-6-24_14-13-51.png

If you have the time, a visit to Cairo is fantastic

upload_2021-6-24_14-15-21.png

upload_2021-6-24_14-16-0.png

In October-November of 2019 I did 2 liveaboards, then followed up with a Nile cruise. The Nile cruise commenced in Luxor and terminated in Aswan--a very comfortable, informative trip. The logistics were seamless. I opted for the Aggressor package, but finagled my own surface transit prior to the 1st liveaboard to avoid rip-off (in my opinion) prices.

Our Nile cruise was wonderful: comfy accommodation, delicious food, excellent guide, brilliant sight-seeing.

Unfortunately, I found some of the locals to be aggressive and bold--this was based on interactions in Cairo, close to the Pyramids. For example, when I left my hotel to find a restaurant some people seated at bars/restaurants would call out to me--or bystanders would gesture in a mocking fashion. The Nile cruise provided a "comfort zone" wherein I did not feel hassled. I have travelled widely over the decades. The only other time I have felt a similar level of discomfort was in Morocco, back in the 70's!

I enjoyed Egypt, and would happily return.

Also looking at Aggressor. Did A III a couple of years ago and did not do Luxor and regretted it. Totally agree re rip off re prices. Booked local transportation and hotel and was a fraction of the price - like 1/4 for exactly the same hotel.

Comfort zone is a good thought.

Hi @Darnold9999

I did a Nile River trip in 2016, sounds like there are still very few tourists, a big advantage to the traveler, We had a wonderful guide/Egyptologist. There are several advantages. The extra information provided is priceless. In addition, they protect you from the overly aggressive hawkers. Nothing like a local to effectively deal with the locals.

If you have a chance, I would opt in for a day trip to Abu Simbel, We flew to and from Aswan. It was a major highlight of our trip.

View attachment 667286

View attachment 667287

View attachment 667288

There is never enough time to do everything sadly!! Appreciate the feedback re Abu Simbel and Cairo.

We’re most of the passengers on the Nile trip also divers or mostly tourists?

Ha. We booked our guide through Aggressor, but booked hotels ourselves because it seemed easy to get a better price ourselves. The cost of the guide through Aggressor's booking service seemed comparable to what independent guide outfits were advertising (though I'm sure a lower fee can be negotiated on the ground). Our guide was knowledgeable, but he tried to persuade us to add things on, such as a sunrise balloon ride, a half-day at some other site, etc. If we had wanted those things, we would have added them on up front when we booked. He said he could offer them at lower price than if we had booked up front. In other words, he was dealing under the table with his employer's customers. I suspect if you negotiate directly with a guide rather than book through Aggressor, you will either pay less or get more for your money. So I suppose Aggressor's booking service charges a premium for the guide the same as they do for hotel, transportation, etc.

Hi @Darnold9999

View attachment 667286

View attachment 667287

View attachment 667288
Wonderful photos, "scubadada", brings back great memories!

I, too, highly recommend Abu Simbel.

There is never enough time to do everything sadly!! Appreciate the feedback re Abu Simbel and Cairo.

We’re most of the passengers on the Nile trip also divers or mostly tourists?
It was a separate 2 week trip my wife and I took while living in Switzerland, no divers. We had plenty of time to see Cairo, Luxor to Aswan, and Abu Simbel. I did a separate 2 week trip in the Red Sea Trip Report - Red Sea Aggressor April-May 2016.

Back
Top Bottom