Luxor after Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been to Eqypt twice and toured the Luxor region both times. I will say that a guide would be my preference but the guide experience is dependent on the guide and their knowledge, personality, charisma, speaking ability.

Both guides we toured with were Egyptologists but the one I experienced in 2008 was far better than the one in 2015.

Both times we toured the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Hatshepsut's temple, Karnak's temple, and some other sites, and did a short cruise on the nile.

There are typical stops at alabaster shops, perfume shops, blown glass shops, and papyrus shops....all these are places to drain your wallet via overpriced goods....but if you are into those kind of souvenirs with limited time to shop perhaps that is not an issue for you. Realize that your guide gets a kickback from the shops when you buy stuff.

A good guide is a great way to get a deep dive (no pun intended) into the history as you immerse in antiquity.

My first time in Egypt, I was active duty Navy and my ship pulled in to Safaga, the 2nd time I went with a dive club and we stayed in Hurgada. It was a very long bus ride from those cities to the Luxor region, and guide that knows their s%#t and has some charisma and storytelling ability helps make that slog enjoyable.

-Z

I’ll have a guide with me for just about everything I do there, as well as in Cairo, other than my brief walk over to the Luxor temple that night. I’ll also be there in the morning, but would like to get some shots of it at night as well. I realize some things can be done cheaper DIY, but Id rather have a guide to, at the very least, help keep all the locals from bugging me too much. That factor alone makes it money well spent.

As for shopping, yeah, I read about how prices get marked up when you have a guide with you, so I’d do that part solo. But I’m not huge on cheesy trinkets, anyway. That and the fact that I’m not skilled enough to know which items are fake, and not trusting enough to let someone tell me…lol.

Just like in Indonesia, I haggled with the shop started with 1/3 of the price & ended up bought the art craft at 50% of the offered price. I probably still paid it too much. They do this bargaining game probably for over 5000 years.

B1F9D9A2-C652-41C6-8010-D0CC7751CD13.jpeg

I can understand how many folks are put off by bartering/haggling, particularly in Cairo's Khan El-Khalili market. There is stiff competition among the hawkers and they try various methods to attract you to their shops. The experience can be draining if you are not up for it. Yes, some are very aggressive and persistent but most of this is just for show.

We have done quite a bit of haggling throughout the region and find it helpful to be polite and firm with a smile and "La shukran" (no thanks) if you are just browsing or walking by. Know your exchange rate before you go, determine what the selling price is and then offer 1/3 of that. Some would suggest you go down 3/4 of the asking price, but this can be harder work. If you are not really interested in the item, jut walk away. Bargaining in bad faith is not appreciated.

If you are planning on buying jewelry, do some research beforehand to find a reputable seller.

That and the fact that I’m not skilled enough to know which items are fake, and not trusting enough to let someone tell me…lol.

Easy : everything is fake ! if it were a real antiquity, it would be at Cairo museum or British museum...
Most of the things are handmade... nearly industrially.

Anyway, if you like something, discuss the price (you may sit, drink a tea, discuss again during a few hours, or days), buy it, and you'll be pleased to have it, to have obtained a bargain, and the seller will thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom