Luxfer & Aqua-Lung VIP Thread Crack Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello... I have a Luxfer P25789 CTC/DOT-3AL3000 dated 12/82 (manuf.) and a Aqua-Lung CTC-SP922-3000 P300521 USD 10/78 dated (manuf.)... these tanks went out for VIP together some time ago and came back a failure with thread cracks apparently... although they both look new (little use), I am wondering if I should get a second opinion or just toss them and get new ones?... and what do you do with bad cylinders to dispose of?... thanks for feedback everyone...

Jerry

sounds like they are starting to develop the SLC. Scrap them or make windchimes or lamps.

I also had a tank of that era recently fail, and it had only about 20 fills over it's life. The inspector showed me the cracks, and they were very real and clearly visible.

It sucks, but it happens . . . not much more I can say . . .

- Tim

Had one in a set of twins with a crack. Got rid of all of my old Luxfer Tanks, only have three Catalina Tanks left and feel glad I did. Life is too short already, more shops are refusing to fill these time bombs.

Is there a problem with Luxfer tanks ? I own several. Is it a particular batch ?

I had an old luxfer fail the vip at one dive shop due to suspected cracks in the threads and went to a different dive shop and it then passed vip with very good looking threads. If you don't like the results of the vip go to a different tester as the vip test is an opinion test. I will use it till the hydro expires and then scrap it.

It's a good excuse to replace your cylinders with steel Fabers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom