Lung goo on inhale side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackfrogfeet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm getting a decent amount of lung goo/ juice/ saliva building up on the inhale side after a dive. It is not in the lung, just sitting in the bottom of the inhale breathing hose where it connects to the BOV. I've heard varying answers on whether or not this is normal. Some people have said that it should be bone dry, no matter what. After some playing around/experimenting, I've found that if I have enough saliva in the BOV, it would be able to seep out from underneath the mushroom valve of the inhale side everytime I breath in. Just looking for some advice and insight from more experienced CCR divers.

As a backgrounder, I'm using a Fathom with a Shrimp BOV. The CCR is passing positives/ negatives, the BOV passes the flow check and I already took it apart and lubed the O-rings again.

Inhale side is never bone dry, it’ll have some amount of condensation. But it’s water and not lung juice.

Its definitely saliva. Its too thick to be condensation.
I slobber pretty heavily in my JJ, never had lung butter seep into the inhale side of the loop. My buddies who dive Fathoms have never mentioned it happening in theirs. Maybe consider calling Charlie for a definitive answer.

yeah i don't understand how that could happen. it would have to travel through the scrubber first

edit sorry i think i missed OP's point. Seems like it could be possible for some spit to seep into the inhale loop around/underneath the mushroom valve, although I haven't really noticed it myself. Is it causing a problem?

Condensation and spit on the inhale side is common, especially in cold water. There's less in warmer water as you might expect since the temperature difference between the water and the loop air is less.

The absolute maximum I've experienced is in 4C water with the sidewinder using the scrubber heaters - cause duh 100% humid and preheated inhale gas against the cold rubber leads to maximum condensation. The least I have is in Mexico

Condensation and spit on the inhale side is common, especially in cold water. There's less in warmer water as you might expect since the temperature difference between the water and the loop air is less.

The absolute maximum I've experienced is in 4C water with the sidewinder using the scrubber heaters - cause duh 100% humid and preheated inhale gas against the cold rubber leads to maximum condensation. The least I have is in Mexico
^this

Ok, thanks. I figured it was not a big deal. My flow test on the BOV was fine and I already pulled the o-rings and checked everything. I even took the BOV, put water inside through the mouthpiece and then laid it down on a desk with the inhale side down. I had a piece of paper towel underneath to catch any drops of water should they pass by a faulty mushroom valve or o-ring. The paper towel was bone dry after leaving the BOV for 15min like that. After that, I kept the BOV in the inhale side down orientation with the water sitting inside, and drew a slow breath in. The water then managed to pass around the mushroom valve while I inhaled. Hard to explain my little experiment on Scubaboard... I had people telling me something was very wrong if any slobber was showing up on the inhale side, so I really just needed a sanity check from some other divers.

And I am in 8C water.

Ok, thanks. I figured it was not a big deal. My flow test on the BOV was fine and I already pulled the o-rings and checked everything. I even took the BOV, put water inside through the mouthpiece and then laid it down on a desk with the inhale side down. I had a piece of paper towel underneath to catch any drops of water should they pass by a faulty mushroom valve or o-ring. The paper towel was bone dry after leaving the BOV for 15min like that. After that, I kept the BOV in the inhale side down orientation with the water sitting inside, and drew a slow breath in. The water then managed to pass around the mushroom valve while I inhaled. Hard to explain my little experiment on Scubaboard... I had people telling me something was very wrong if any slobber was showing up on the inhale side, so I really just needed a sanity check from some other divers.

And I am in 8C water.
Its a very simple one way flapper so every time you inhale if there is any puddle of spit or condensation in the DSV/BOV some of it can leak upstream. Plus the loop is humid and the interior of the hose is cold. After a few days of cold diving without emptying the inhale side I might have 10-15mL of spitty slimy water in there. I'm pretty sure I have that much in my Meg inhale CL now after 2 hours in 3C water.

edited cause my brain doesnt think in mL as well as it should lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom