LP85 filled to 3600psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A steel LP 85 cf is rated 2400 psi + 10% overfill = 2640 psi

So called cave fills pressurize this low pressure tank to 3600 psi. (2400 psi +50%)

Reckless or not?

:coffee:

From the manufacture standpoint....

However, you also know that it is common practice in Cave County....

Before I tell you that it is reckless, let me ask you what you think of people who drive one to two tonnes of steel while eating, drinking or talking on a cell phone? Or those who drive too fast for conditions, without headlights on in the dark and the rain, with vehicles in poor maintennance? And then you have the people who drive under the influence of drugs like alcohol.

Which can cause more damage? a tank blowing up, or a car losing control? (I know the numbers will show more people die in car accidents, but we can't use those as more people drive cars than own scubatanks)

So while yes, it might be reckless, it seems to be decently safe, or should I say, it tends to not kill people, so we do it. I'd be quite upset if a shop didn't fill my LP steels to atleast 3100. (that is if I owned any. As it is, I use HP aluminums and I balk at any fill lower than 3600, but the tanks are designed for 3300 cold and they cool off to 33 when hot filled to 36.)

Show me a report of a LP tank killing or hurting someone because it was filled to 3600...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only difference between a LP and HP steel tank is about $80.00. Same dimensions, same material, just that they have been rated to higher pressure by the Mfg.

Ask me and I'll tell ya bout a guy I know that dives double steel 40's pumped up to 4000+.

4000+ Ill assume that we are talking HP's? If not WOW!!

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the burst disk need to be changed on an LP for the 3600 fill? I was thinking 3500-3600 was the disk pressure.

A quick note on the tanks "being the same," I want to hear that from a manufacturer. We all say it on the boards but I don't know if it's true and I think until we hear it from the companies that make the tanks, we need to be careful about propogating rumors.

Now if some company has siad it please quote them here or show me where they said it please!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom