LP85 filled to 3600psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most people buy the LP's because a LP104 might hold more like 120 cubic feet of gas when overfilled. But a high pressure 104 only holds 104 cubic feet at the same pressure. The LP can hold more gas at the pressure, so take it! It's all about the bottom time!

JahJahwarrior:
I think most people buy the LP's because a LP104 might hold more like 120 cubic feet of gas when overfilled. But a high pressure 104 only holds 104 cubic feet at the same pressure. The LP can hold more gas at the pressure, so take it! It's all about the bottom time!

Who makes a HP 104?

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Who makes a HP 104?

Tobin

Nobody makes a HP 104, but a nice bloke named JahJahwarrior makes examples with them, does that count?

for the past 6 years I fille my LP85s to 3000psi consistently , dont go to the Keys though theyre by the book; its a challange to get them filled to 2640. in miami, fort lauderdale its not a problem.

tonka97:
Is it the weight and cost of the HP cylinders that bias many divers toward the LPs?

Of course, it is only the cylinder's buoyancy characteristics that matter in the water not the dry weight of the tank. (other than inertia)

Seems if a diver wants to overfill a tank, the choice should be a tank designed for higher pressures.

HP steel not LP steel.

True or False?

There is an inconsistency I've noticed. Much of the criticism of the HP steel tanks has to do with "you can't find shops that will give you a good fill, IE 3442 psi." But there seems to be NO problem finding shops that will fill a LP+10% steel cylinder to that pressure or higher.

FALSE

The reason that divers choose LP cylinders is not cost--not for me. The LP cylinder balances better and trims better and is not so negative--front negative. The LP cylinders in some ways should be thought of as multi-pressure cylinders. I can fill it to anything from 2250 psi for some of my oldest vintage gear all the way up to 3,000 psi for equipment rated thusly and at 3,000 psi a LP85 with Nitrox is a great tank for deeper single tank dives with around 90 cf on tap compared to barely 77 of the ubiquitous aluminum 80.

I have not dove all HP cylinders but the ones I have dived, especially the HP 80 sizes, seem awfully negative and dive like I have a lead ingot on my head.

PST 100 3500 102 7.25 23.94 34.1 -1.3 -8.8

PST 95 2400 +10% 96.6 8 24.75 43.8 -3.3 -10.4

PST 104 2400 +10% 106.2 8 26.88 46.4 -3.3 -11.27

Faber 95 2400 +10% 95 8 23.8 37.2 -1.2 -8.325

Faber 100 3180 +10% 100 7.25 24.01 38.7 -7.26 -14.76

http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

There are no hard and fast rules, pick the tank you like.

OMS 85 2400 +10% 85 7 26 31 0 -6.7 . This is the same as a Faber LP 85 or at least the two I have.

N

You're all wusses I use a set of LP95s on their third hydro, which have been filled to 4000 their whole life.

Hey, don't call me no wuss, I pour beer in my steel 72s and then fill them until they swell up. Is this a problem?

N

I prefer LP tanks for a number of reasons, but one that is often over looked is PP filling nitrox from a cascade. The lower WP pressure means the O2 pressures required are less, and therefore you can recover more of the O2 in the supply bottle. HP tanks OTOH are handy for transfilling into LP tanks.

Regarding over filling; I do not advocate it, but it's well to remember some basic facts.

As long as you remain below the elastic limit steel will return to it's original shape when the stress is removed. If you impose stresses greater than the elastic limit you enter the "plastic" range and get permanent deformation that does not recover when the stress is removed.

Is a hydro test just pumping up the bottle to a given pressure and looking to see if it split? NO What is measured is how much the tank expands under the test pressure, and how much of that expansion is returned when the pressure is removed. This tells the tester if the tank is still behaving in the elastic region, or if it has, due to damaged or corroded walls etc. thinned to the point where it "yields" and suffers permanent deformation.

If Hydro pressures aren't causing the tank to yield, filling to a pressure above the WP, but below the test pressure is unlikely to either.

Think about a cable on a hoist. Lets say it's rated to 2500 lbs, Proofed at 10,000 and will fail above 20,000 lbs.

What happens if you hoist a 4000 lbs load? Is it less safe than staying under 2500 lbs? Yes of course, but only because you have reduced the margin of safety.

Now if all the above is true why are "Working Pressures" so much less than Hydro Retest Pressures? Safety margin. Scuba tanks can live a very hard life. Corrosion being a key risk, but many other factors can contribute to erode this safety margin.

The margin between the WP and the Retest pressure allows for multiple "mistakes" with a very low chance of failure.

Tobin

do it easy:
You can call me a wuss, but I had some low pressure tanks that were jacked up to 3500 psi in the garage- I couldn't sleep that night untl I drained them down a bit.

You're a wuss!! (you said I could :) )

The the record, y'all ought to listen to the guy calling himself XS Scuba :11:

The metallurgy's different between a LP and a HP tank resulting in a substantially higher tensile strength for the HP tank.

All that being said, I fill my double 85s (Faber) to 3500-3700 routinely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom