Lowest profile single tank wings (with built in STA)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m with bob on this, I use an 18lb wing with an aluminum freedom plate for warm water, the whole rig packs small and weighs a bit over 6 lb dry, my cold water set up is the SS freedom with 7lb tucked under the rail for a total of about 13lb for just the plate, it’s just easier having dedicated gear, plus you get to buy more stuff.

Like Bob & Lexvil my rigs are for totally different purposes. A one size fits all wing would not happen. As for a slimline wing the VDH 18 is excellent and great value for money.

My rigs below

WINTER: DRYSUIT: Halcyon 40lb wing, 3 lb STA with 6lb steel plate, 6lb P weight and 15lb in weight pockets attached to the rear of the plate

TEMPERATE OR LONG RUN TIMES IN SUMMER: 7MM WETSUIT: Halcyon 40lb wing, 3 lb STA with 6lb steel plate, 6lb P weight

TROPICAL: 3MM WETSUIT: VDH 18, AL 3lb plate and 6lb in weight pockets attached to the rear of the plate

The STA doesn't obviate the wideness of a wing. It just makes it a little easier to attach the tank to the BP/Wing.

What I meant to say

I am also interested in the most "Streamlined Wing" for tropical diving.

I have been divining with my FrogSkin with Hood using Halcyon Infinity (removed all paddings) with aluminium plate with SS STA (which is needed for mounting the Halcyon Eclipse Wing). I normally use 4 lb lead. Now is interested to change to SS backplate so that I can use zero lead with good trim/weigh distribution without playing with trim weight. Also want to use a more streamlined wing without STA.

Interestingly, in my search of the most streamlined wing, I found out that my Halcyon 30lb Eclipse Wing is already quite streamline compared with others:

Halcyon Elipse Wing (by measurement): Fully inflated 24"H x 13.5" W (narrow part, wide part is 14,5" wide), weight approx 2lb
DGX S1 wing (from Spec) : Fully inflated: 23'H x 13"W (only marginally slimmer that the Eclipse), 2.1lb from spec.
VDH 18# Wing (from Spec): Fully inflated 22"H x 15"W (a bit wider than both above but a bit shorter), fully deflated: 20"H x13"W ??? (smaller than fully inflated??)
Oxycheq MV 18# (from Spec): Fully inflated 22"H X11.5'W (smallest and most streamlined), weight approx 2.9lb from specification.

It seems that the Oxycheq MV18# is the smallest one/most streamlined one but only marginally smaller than the DGX S1 30lb Wing which is a bit smaller than the Halcyon Eclipse 30lb. The VDH 18# is quite a bit wider than the Oxycheq 18#. I think the Apeks 18# wing will be of size close to the Oxycheq one.

Knowing that quite a few members have used a few other streamlined single tank wings (Apeks, Mares, Deep6). It would be interesting if we could add/post their dimensions and weight for reference noting that most manufacturers do not publish this information.

After this search, if I have to by a more streamlined new wing without the need of STA, I will probably go for the Oxycheq 18# or the DGX 30#. More tinkly go for the DGX one as it is only slightly wider than the Oxycheq one. However, I will now stick to my Halcyon Eclipse which is quite good and has served me for years but will get a SS backplate.

I currently own and use an Oxy 18 and 30 and the VDH Argonaut 18 and 23. All four of these wings are very small and low profile. The VDH wings are exceptionally small and have a bungee elastic surround that tucks the wing in when not inflated. The quality of all of them is high and the VDH wings are made in the USA and perhaps a little lighter in weight because they use a fabric envelope. I think the Oxy wings are USA also.

It has been my experience that any wing, when installed on the typical "technical" plate (which is designed for optimal use with doubles) will wobble because the tank is essentially perched on top of the center channel of the plate. And of course a negative tank will want to roll downhill and they do. No wing I have owned or seen or encountered is sufficiently stiff enough to stop that tendency completely.

What the diving world needs is a flat technical plate designed for optimal use with a single tank. There are a few plates that have the channel reversed, there is the limited production Freedom Plate and there is the VDH plate. Tanks do not tend to roll on those plates with or without a built in STA.

Even if I did not know the owner of VDH, I would have to tell you, they are pretty close to the most optimal design and best value currently available. That is my opinion and I am trying not to be biased. I still like my Oxy wings.

N

Why some peoples are so obsessed with eg. best, smallest, lightest, slimmest etc etc?
I wonder if the difference of few hundred angstroms will be a good selling points?
I bought a 20# wing a couple of years back to supplement my 30# for warm water diving, but sold it after a couple of trips. There wasn't enough difference to justify keep two single-tank wings and I want the 30# version for 5mm suits and rougher Pacific dives.

I have the VDH 18, and oxycheq 18 and a Deep 6 20, they all pack better than a larger wing, lighter and Lee’s bulky matter when traveling, at least to me, titanium reg for the same reason.

I agree that if I could have only one wing it would be a 30 pound lift wing. That being single tank diving. I like my 45 for doubles. But, I can own multiple equipment, lucky me. I also have a wife to outfit. For travel to warm water destinations (air travel) either my Oxy 18 or especially my VDH 18 disappear into the dive bag and are noticeably lighter and conserving of space. And why use more than you need? Since I am a photo diver I have all of that complication to deal with, I need my dive equipment to be as slim, trim and out fo the way as possible and weight and bulk is critical for getting it onto an airplane as much as using it in the water. I put a mesh dive bag on the floor of my roller bag and then set the rigged wing and plate, wing down and then mash the Hades out of it and then pile everything else on top.

My Oxy Mach V 18 (right) and my VDH 24, inflated the VDH 24 (left) is larger in girth than the Oxy 18, deflated it is smaller all around, due to the internal compression bungee that neatly tucks it in:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-24-at-8-03-52-PM.png

Yes, I am OCD over weight of equipment and bulk for travel. And weight, bulk and fluff and puff, dangles and complications to my diving equipment. Slim, trim and simple for me equals minimalism. I am kind of the same way with my body, slim, trim, no dangles or bags please. Course, father time is making that exceedingly difficult. But the equipment I can deal with. And good equipment is good value because it lasts and it performs well. Some folks will go to any expense to save a dollar, that would not be me, learned that lesson a long time ago.

Actually, I never learned that lesson. Recently while visiting down in New Orleans I happened off the Trace Bicycle Trail into a little bike shop and on the rack was a Bianchi Pista SS/fixie track bike. It is like a $899 MSRP, but commonly sell for something in the range of $699 and they had a sale sign on it $600 and I talked them down another $50 (it had a small scratch). I told my wife I had to buy it because it was such a good deal! Since then it has lived on my bike work stand receiving now close to $1500 in upgrades. And now I think it needs a Brooks saddle. I could have just gone and bought a $2500 track bike, but what fun is that! I now have the fastest, lightest and most expensive Bianchi Pista in the world (probably not)! My wife seems not to be so amused with my good deal, the steady packages full of parts arriving on the door step----.

N

@tiburonarizona. I am 5’2 and dive the VDH 18 with al 80’s and 63’s. Its all the wing you will need for aluminum tanks/tropical diving and packs easily.

Here’s a photo of me with a 63 tank and the VDH wing...

View attachment 533383

All I see are yellow fins and hoses. Where are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom