Lowest profile single tank wings (with built in STA)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to start the whole "mine is smaller than yours" debate :rofl3:, but we really are splitting hairs here between say a vdh 18 vs a dgx 30. The size of both are so incredibly close, I actually prefer the #30 wing simply because it allows me a larger buffer of lift if an emergency arises (such as lifting a hurt diver) or also because if you use integrated weights on your bp, many destinations drop your gear in the water and then you strap up in the water. Imagine watching your gear slowly sink to the bottom :letsparty:. So for me (since I travel dive all the time) and always wear a 3mm wetsuit, then a wing in the #25-35 range is ideal and is still incredibly streamlined, and offers me a bit of safety margin compared to an #18.

I went with the dgx for my first wing just so I’d have the added lift capability if needed. That being said I do plan on grabbing a vdh 18 as a second option down the road

Not to start the whole "mine is smaller than yours" debate :rofl3:, but we really are splitting hairs here between say a vdh 18 vs a dgx 30. The size of both are so incredibly close, I actually prefer the #30 wing simply because it allows me a larger buffer of lift if an emergency arises (such as lifting a hurt diver) or also because if you use integrated weights on your bp, many destinations drop your gear in the water and then you strap up in the water. Imagine watching your gear slowly sink to the bottom :letsparty:. So for me (since I travel dive all the time) and always wear a 3mm wetsuit, then a wing in the #25-35 range is ideal and is still incredibly streamlined, and offers me a bit of safety margin compared to an #18.

Why would an 18 pounds lift wing sink with integrated weights of an appropriate amount for the wing? I have integrated weight pouches and so does my wife. Only my doubles wing is without integration. The wing lift should match the exposure suit and equipment being used. An 18 pounds lift wing is appropriate for 80cf aluminum tanks, aluminum plates, minimal exposure suits (shorty or 3/2 full suit or nothing). In such gear I use from 4 to maybe 8 pounds of lead and my camera is around 2 pounds negative, my wife is typically 12 pounds of lead. I am trying to talk her into swapping for my 23 pounds VDH wing. The point is, what I am trying to say, if you need close to the capacity of the wing in lead ballast (or steel plates and steel negative cylinders) you do need a bigger capacity wing. The right tool for the job.

But, one of the reasons I switched from an 18 to a 23 is for that extra capacity to come to my wife's aid or a buddy, as you mention, extra capacity does not really hurt. Your buddy in the rescue situation, dump their weights on the surface, partially dump at depth if needed, inflate their wing as needed, use your sausage as additional flotation (and your buddy should have one as well). Your wing does not need to be able to dead lift yourself and a buddy.

N

I'm 184cm, 102kg.
I dive a 5mm wetsuit.
Mostly a 15l steel, sometimes a 12l steel.
SS backplate.
DIR harness.
No weights.
My Hollis S25 LX wing is absolutely perfect. My buoyancy is great with both the 12 and the 15. Love this wing!

I had this same debate and narrowed it down to the Apeks WTX D18 or the VDH 18# and went with the VDH 18# due to the price and I love it. Very nice wing very compact and plenty of lift. I dove the Apeks 18 a couple times and can not tell a difference between the two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom