Lost tank marking......what would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im sure they are my tanks because they are white with black boots and Nitrox bands, I rented the tanks from a dive operator a week ago, when I first arrived at the island. Being that its only the second time I have used them, I dont know every scratch in them.
I had marked them with Duct tape, and written the % with a sharpy, no sign of the duct tape remains.
The last time I saw the tanks was at the Charter operators store when he was loading up the truck with gear, to drive to the ramp.

NetDoc wrote
I pay NAUI $3.00 for the wraps. and I can see/feel any rust through them. They do come off every five years for hydro.
$6.00 for wraps is considerably better than the $18.00-$30.00 I've heard. It's my understanding that the stickers should be removed annually during VIP, not every five years.

to perform a VIP. I never remove the warning label, manufacturer label, or the NitrOx bands... UNLESS I feel the corrosion underneath or see the sticker bubble up. PSI is rather vague... it says to “remove loose paint and stickers”. My PSI instructor commented on this as to whether it meant loose paint and ALL stickers or loose paint and loose stickers. It's somewhere between the two, and common sense can go a long way to resolving this dilemma. Corrosion can not occur without bubbling paint or a sticker, so a meaningful inspection can be done without removing stickers just as it can be done without removing all of the paint. If there is any apparent corrosion, then you must clean the offending area down to the metal and use your pit gauge to determine if it fails the tank or not.

But if it is a problem for you, then by all means replace them thar $3.00 stickers. That’s still pretty cheap.

Sorry, I still don't see the point for plastering wraps on dedicated doubles. I'd rank the odds of someone accidentally taking them as near zero. Plus, I'd imagine there are very few divers with the equipment to use double 104s who aren't Nitrox certified at the very least.

BTW, in your eyes would I require a TriMix sticker if I use any helium?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Im sure they are my tanks because they are white with black boots and Nitrox bands, I rented the tanks from a dive operator a week ago, when I first arrived at the island. Being that its only the second time I have used them, I dont know every scratch in them.
I had marked them with Duct tape, and written the % with a sharpy, no sign of the duct tape remains.
The last time I saw the tanks was at the Charter operators store when he was loading up the truck with gear, to drive to the ramp.

That evidence would leave me with doubt about whether they were my tanks or not. Time to catch some rays.

First of all, this would never happen to me. Not only do I have all of my tanks marked with black magic marker with my name. I also have all my tanks marked with either a Nitrox band, or a "Contents other than air" label. I also use DUCT TAPE to mark the O2 percentage on my cylinders. I also can pretty much tell you exactly whats in my tank before I even look at it...

TWO WORDS: I REMEMBER!!! I dont need to look at it...

Oh, and one more thing: I ALWAYS ANALYZE MY GAS JUST BEFORE I USE IT... I have never forgotten my analyzer for any dive. If i do forget it or it breaks, see above,... I never forget...

metridium once bubbled...

BTW, in your eyes would I require a TriMix sticker if I use any helium?

I am not TriMix certified, so I wouldn't know. I dive and teach within my training. I have enough humility to admit to not knowing something, and the temerity to not act like I do.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
I rented the tanks from a dive operator a week ago, when I first arrived at the island. Being that its only the second time I have used them, I dont know every scratch in them.

You don't know how many other tanks the operator has that look like that. There are too many variables involved. Hope you have suntan lotion in the Dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom