Lost tank...long shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? I was under the impression once a disclaimer was posted and you proceeded 'under caution' as it were, it was basically 'do at your own risk' and they were completely free of liability

That indeed would be interesting if thats not the case.

I wonder if the hydro shop knew the correct procedure for these
tanks. They have a different procedure than most.

Dunno, but likely that they didn't. I do know that Dave occasionally did some "generous" fills on them. I think he attributed that to the hydro failures than anything else. I now normally fill the Fabers that he uses and he asked me not to overfill (3442 psi tanks).

But it does seem that PST tanks fail hydros more often than other tanks. I can't recall ever hearing one of the mid-pressure (3180+) Fabers failing.

All right, This is why you should always get a police report on stolen items.

Find the SN. If it was ever hydro'ed, either the shop or the hydro facility keep those records, they have to. If it due for hydro, there are a limited number of places that do hydros. With a police report, it takes very little pressure to have these places look for the tank when it comes in for service. Another option is to photograph the tank, ( good for insurance purposes) list the serial #, and inform all the shops in the area that it is stolen. Most will keep an eye out. I've seen seven tanks recovered this way. Once, in LA, a guy I knew had items stolen in Oregon, and recovered locally on a dive charter. He kept an eye out, and a copy of the police report in a baggie in his dive bag. Saw his tank, informed the captain, captain called the police and arrested the guy as he got off the boat, possession of stolen property. Managed to recover most of his (trashed) gear.

How weird is that? We live a small community, it pays to pay attention.

Unfortunately, i dont have the SN. I have the SN for the tank that i bought at the same time, and i *think* they were very close in number. Im almost certain that they had the same hydro year though. Also, i couldnt get a police report at the time since it took the shop a while to admit it wasnt just 'misplaced' somewhere. With the amount of time that passed between it going missing and me trying to report it, and with the disclaimer notice, the cop didnt even take any notes. Pretty much said it was my fault for leaving it there and there was nothing to be done.

Anyone know if itll be worth trying to report it now? Whats the statute of limitation on theft in california?

And anyone know where the local tanks go for hydro around here?

if you have a reciept showing that you left the tank there and you came to pick it up and it was gone they are responsable for it. that sign means nothing. even if you had signed a work order and the fine print said they were not responsable it still would not matter. you cannot be made to sign away negligence. they should not have let anyone take that tank without showing the pick up recipt. they can state a policy about not leaving things over thirty days and start charging a storage fee until it equels the value of the item and at that point they get to keep or sell the item to cover thair cost. if you have the reciept the time limit is a year i would file small claims this will cost about $75 you will have to have them served with a notice this will cost about $45.if you actually end up going to court you can recoup these losses but i would be willing to bet that they just give you a tank or at least try to work somthing out.if not and you are going to court i would notify the local newspaper about the situation and they will likely do a small story about it the shop is not going to like that. but if this tank was not worth much it is not worth your time and stress to deal with it and i would just let it go

Yeah, i got the tank for $200 and the sum cost (not financial, but the fall-out affecting certain relationships) of going that route would be far greater than that i think. Seems like a lot of potential hassle and time for something i can replace at almost the same price... ill just be a bit more wary about getting tanks filled/ worked on there in future.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated

Unfortunately, i dont have the SN. I have the SN for the tank that i bought at the same time, and i *think* they were very close in number. Im almost certain that they had the same hydro year though. Also, i couldnt get a police report at the time since it took the shop a while to admit it wasnt just 'misplaced' somewhere. With the amount of time that passed between it going missing and me trying to report it, and with the disclaimer notice, the cop didnt even take any notes. Pretty much said it was my fault for leaving it there and there was nothing to be done.

Anyone know if itll be worth trying to report it now? Whats the statute of limitation on theft in california?

And anyone know where the local tanks go for hydro around here?

Was it a Nitrox tank? The S/N will be on the Nitrox log where
you got it filled.

Tanks go for hydro to whereever that shop sends them. It's worth
checking with the shop.

Dan/Chuck,
Isn't it the later PST's that were failing hydro? the 3442 psi, 3/4 neck ones as far as I know... The 3500 psi 7/8's neck angled valves were solid as far as I know...
that being said my PST (3442) 100's are coming up for Hydro... we'll see what becomes of that.

Good luck with your tanks Ben. I am looking for the right place to send my tanks when the time comes.

BTW here is an interesting link to How tanks are made.
YouTube - scubanetwork's Channel

Back
Top Bottom