Lost tank...long shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

Total long shot, given the circumstances, but was convinced that it might *just* pan out, so ive got to ask. Im on the peninsula, specifically Mountain View, so im hoping someone in our awesome community can help.

I lost a PST HP100 3500psi tank at a shop where it was being filled, roughly a year ago. Neck is the older 7/8th inch thread, Sherwood/Genesis (i think) valve with the slightly angled valve wheel. The DIN port part itself is not angled, just the wheel. Also pretty sure the valve had the US divers/aqualung symbol on it (ill verify this tomorrow once i see the other tank). Dont have the serial number, but if it was anything like its twin (bought second hand at the same time) it may be due its hydro this year. Hot-dipped galvanised, good condition, with a couple big sticker-residue outlines on it (the big oval PST one and a smaller one). Going to assume vip and O2 stickers were removed, since if the tank was used it would have needed a new VIP. Similarly, i had my full name in 1/2 inch letters in black sharpie and i also filled in the '3500' on the neck, although im not holding out any hope of those still being legible.

I know this is real vague, and a total long shot, but i figured it couldnt hurt. There is a small reward for helping me find this tank, since i loved diving it and its twin is getting a bit lonely in the wardrobe all by itself.

Hit me up here or on p/m if anyone has any insight/suggestions. Cheers

ps... if anyone is selling one of these, i'd be very interested.

Thanks for the response. Id really appreciate it.

Cheers

how did you lose a tank at a shop where it was being filled? shouldnt they be responsable for it? dont they know where it is?

Figured im going to get this question a lot, so ill answer it openly...

It was basically stolen. Someone else picked it up from the fill area and walked out with it. The shop has a non-liability disclaimer right there on the counter and basically said it was my fault/responsibility. They 'thought' it was one of my buddies come pick it up, and didnt check id- it had my name on the neck, so anyone could have seen it and claimed to know me i guess. I had quite a heated talk with them about checking id's or something to verify, or at least take a name, but they said it was never an issue and stuck to the non-liability notice.

Anyways, thats the short version. I dont *really* blame the shop- i should have picked it up sooner than the 3 weeks i left it- but i still feel they at least have *some* responsibility, even with the non-liability.

Cheers

How did it get "lost?"

My usual dive buddy used to dive with these tanks until a couple of them failed hydro, then he switched over to Fabers. I'll see what he wants for the ones that still passed but doesn't use anymore.

I'll call him up and post later.

I wonder if the hydro shop knew the correct procedure for these
tanks. They have a different procedure than most.

Dan/Chuck,
Isn't it the later PST's that were failing hydro? the 3442 psi, 3/4 neck ones as far as I know... The 3500 psi 7/8's neck angled valves were solid as far as I know...
that being said my PST (3442) 100's are coming up for Hydro... we'll see what becomes of that.

There are plenty of the older 3500 PSI tanks with non-angled valves. Adm.
Linda and I own nine between us. ONE came with an angled valve, which
has since been replaced with a straight valve because of a problem with the
angled valve.

I know the 3500 PSI tanks had a different hydro process than normal
steel tanks, and would fail the normal process. So I just asked whether
the hydro shop had known what they were doing with that tank.

That disclaimer may not be enforceable. If you wish to push it, you may prevail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom