Lost Second Stage - Hibiscus St.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefTrekker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I had the interesting experience of having a crimp on the second stage hose of a rental regulator blow out on a dive today. That was a first.........I've had o-rings go before, but it didn't sound anything like this. A loud deep boom, followed by the sound of my air draining out at a nice pace. Anyways, after a fabulous demonstration of air-sharing procedures.....I surfaced safely from my 12 feet deep near death experience. It could have been worse (on a deeper dive), but as it turns out, it was a good opportunity to show my buddy/student how to remain calm and handle that kind of situation. Always look for the silver lining right?

Point being, after spitting out the second stage, and not realizing the hose was no longer attached, it ended up in the sand, and is currently resting on the bottom about 30 yards west of the first reef slightly north of Hibiscus St. We couldn't locate it due to the poor vis today.

It's an older model Mares with a chrome faceplate. If anyone finds it, I'm sure the shop owner would be grateful if I returned it to him. I'll buy you a drink or an air fill.....and you'll have my gratitude. The shop owner doesn't hold me responsible for loosing it, and returned my rental fee. I'm just glad I was the one using it.

Jeremy

PS - First dive today went great......looks like it's starting to finally calm down out there.

And Mike.....we saw a decent sized shark betwen the first reef and the beach.....not sure what kind. I saw him cruising along from the surface. Wish we'd have gotten a better look. Probably 4 or 5 feet long....heading for the pier at a good cruising speed. That's the first one I've seen out there, other than the usual nurse sharks.

Sounds like a great training dive!

BTW how long did it take your tank to empty with no reg on the end of that hose?

Yeah! What pipedope asked. I'm really curious how long that would take myself.

btw, glad it worked out ok and wasn't serious.

Joe

It didn't empty. But from the time it blew until I shut it off (at the surface), I went from 2800 to 1600 psi. It was definitely coming out quicker than an o-ring failure. (This happened about 8 minutes into the dive)

The whole thing only lasted maybe 30 seconds, since we were so shallow.
And there wasn't anything to indicate the hose was loose or damaged prior to doing the dive. Be careful with those rental regs!!!

PS- Mods, if possible, keep this thread here instead of the accidents/incidents section. I'd like the Conch Divers to see it in case anyone stumbles across that second stage. I appreciate it.

Not too long ago Curt Bowen did a series of tests on time to empty tanks with various failures. He posted the results over on The Deco Stop, maybe we can get him to post the results here also.

Wow, Jeremy! I wondered why you guys came in so quickly! You're right- defiinitely a good learning experince but no fun to go through. I may be going out on an afternoon dive this week & if I do, I'll take a look for it. Glad all came back in safely.

WOW! 12'! You must have messed your breeches thinking "12' is a loooong way to go-o-o-o! Hope my buddy has enough air!" :wink:

Seriously though, I'm glad that things worked out good and that 12' is all you had to worry in getting to the surface. Another silver lining, this has probably made your buddy/student a better diver having seen and dealt with an adverse situation first hand with an instructor and saw how you handled it. :)

ReefTrekker:
.....I surfaced safely from my 12 feet deep near death experience. It could have been worse (on a deeper dive), but as it turns out, it was a good opportunity to show my buddy/student how to remain calm and handle that kind of situation. Always look for the silver lining right?

Not to get off thread, but I love your hat, Colin. With you as the Neoprene Cowboy and Jenny as the Neoprene Cowgirl, I know that it won't be long until you guys do a manatee roundup. A nice, juicy manatee steak will go so well with these turtle eggs...

Oh, and Jeremy, glad to see that you guys made it up safely. I'll keep an eye out for your second stage while I'm looking for my flag and flag weight that we lost at the same site two weeks ago.

Somewhere there is a crab with some really cool new home decorations..he just can't believe his luck with all these neat things showing up lately!

Giddyup sea veal - it's time for us to head to the brandin' house.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom