Lost Second Stage - Hibiscus St.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found the Second stage I lost...........Just happenned to spot it on a dive this morning. Had just a touch of growth on it from the past few days, but looks like it'll work just fine after a good service.

Talk about luck!!

ReefTrekker:
Found the Second stage I lost...........Just happenned to spot it on a dive this morning. Had just a touch of growth on it from the past few days, but looks like it'll work just fine after a good service.

Talk about luck!!

Congrates to ya!

Paul

Wow, Goes to show you what a little luck and sharp eyes will do for you. Glad you were able to recover it before it got buried in the sand.

Joe

Im just curious..............why didnt you switch to your octo? Was it because you sensed a catostraphic failure in the system? Or did you just instinctively reach for your student's?

No criticism intended, just curious is all.....

I didn't go for my octo because I could feel the air rushing out of the first stage. Didn't figure the octo would work for very long. (not that it needed to, but one equipment failure was enough for that dive.)

No criticism taken.....it's a good question.

That and honestly, it was a good opportunity to show my student air-sharing in a real situation....calmly.
All in all, we were 12 feet deep, and I had a good breath.....a normal ascent would have sufficed. Never miss an opportunity for training, though right?

Like I said, I'm relieved that a.) it was shallow, b.) it was me using the rental, and c.) it worked out like it should have.

ReefTrekker:
I didn't go for my octo because I could feel the air rushing out of the first stage. Didn't figure the octo would work for very long. (not that it needed to, but one equipment failure was enough for that dive.)

No criticism taken.....it's a good question.

That and honestly, it was a good opportunity to show my student air-sharing in a real situation....calmly.
All in all, we were 12 feet deep, and I had a good breath.....a normal ascent would have sufficed. Never miss an opportunity for training, though right?

Like I said, I'm relieved that a.) it was shallow, b.) it was me using the rental, and c.) it worked out like it should have.

OK, Thanks, I am sometimes hesitant to ask questions because I dont want to come off as being critical or over anylitical. Some people are very sensitive to questioning, thats why I tried to qualify my question.

"I didn't go for my octo because I could feel the air rushing out of the first stage. Didn't figure the octo would work for very long. "

I admire your calm - quick rationalization. I will save my question of why you were still renting a reg, being an instructor- for another time.(NOT that this is any indicator of when a problem like yours will appear, being a rental) I am glad that all turned out well. I would hope that if I was in the same situation, I would respond in the same systematic,auto - manner.

Be well....

Great news about that second stage! Gotta love that.

Good discussion about the whole event, too. Sounds like you kept a level head and saw the event as what it was, a potentially dangerous situation in a relatively benign setting, in other words, a great training opportunity. Your student was lucky to be there and to have you as an instructor. We need more of that kind of attitude out there among diving pros.

Hope you are able to get underwater this weekend. Conditions sound pretty great.

Safe ascents,
-G

Thanks for the posts guys.

Mikswi - I had a last minute addition to the dive show up, so I gave her my personal regulator, and I ran down to the closest shop and rented one last minute. I teach independently of a shop for the time being, so I rent equipment sometimes. Whenever possible, I take the rental stuff for myself, for exactly this reason (except for my Zeagle ranger......it's like underwear, no one gets to wear it but me :) Never had a problem until now.
That reg looked fine when I pressure checked it. Just goes to show.....be extra careful when it's not yours!

Grier - I'm dying to know...........what is "la salchicha que zambulle"??

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom