Lost on the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you are alright. Definitely a good lesson, I'm sure, though one that would have been less traumatic in a classroom setting, like rescue. Lots of good advice above on protecting yourself in the future -- signaling device(s) especially. The theme repeated over and over on the board is taking responsibility for yourself and I suspect you are now strongly of that mindset and you clearly understand why it is important. I think you just graduated from the trust-me school of diving and in the end that's a good thing.

Now you should book a good rescue course, even before some of the specilaties that you mentioned. Some of the topics you will see there will show you what to do in such conditions.
I strongly recommend (as every one does) this course. It´s one of the best courses one can take. It's not only to assist to your fellow divers. It´s to assit yourself.

Mikeynl

Sorry if it came across that I was undermining your experience, the more you elaborated, the worse and damn scary it sounds. I think I just didn't believe that an experienced op would let you dive in these conditions. I know we have been told a few times when on the boats due to the weather 'no way'. In the right conditions it's an excellent dive.

I second the rescue course, the purchase and learning how to use an SMB although mentioned its not explicitly taught in the drift course and just dive, with people you trust...

Happy diving and well done with keeping your cool. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clowfishsydney: didn't have gloves on. It was 40 degrees that day, and the water was about 25 degrees. Don't know why the boat left, I'm sure they had a radio to get help. But there was NO WAY they could pull us into the boat, as it was just rocking too much, and getting onto it would have been very dangerous. They probably left cos of that, and the fact that there were quite a few people on board. By the way, the water was totally calm when we went in, I really don't know where the waves came from. I think it even took the instructor by surprise.

lynch: remember that I'm a new diver. All my dives have been relatively easy dives: in tropical water, good to brilliant visibility, and only the dives at Jackson reef had been proper drift dives, all the others were in really calm water. And I always have been diving in a follow the leader style. A bunch of divers with one of more instructors. Never dived just with a buddy. So there had never been the need for an SMB. The instructor should have had one on the drift dive tho.

---------- Post added ----------

Oh and about the little air I had left. We noticed under water that the current was getting stronger. In fact at the safety stop we had to hold on to the reef, and that took quite a bit of effort. Was happy to finally let go and ascend to the surface.

clowfishsydney: didn't have gloves on. It was 40 degrees that day, and the water was about 25 degrees. Don't know why the boat left, I'm sure they had a radio to get help. But there was NO WAY they could pull us into the boat, as it was just rocking too much, and getting onto it would have been very dangerous. They probably left cos of that, and the fact that there were quite a few people on board. By the way, the water was totally calm when we went in, I really don't know where the waves came from. I think it even took the instructor by surprise.

lynch: remember that I'm a new diver. All my dives have been relatively easy dives: in tropical water, good to brilliant visibility, and only the dives at Jackson reef had been proper drift dives, all the others were in really calm water. And I always have been diving in a follow the leader style. A bunch of divers with one of more instructors. Never dived just with a buddy. So there had never been the need for an SMB. The instructor should have had one on the drift dive tho.

---------- Post added ----------

Oh and about the little air I had left. We noticed under water that the current was getting stronger. In fact at the safety stop we had to hold on to the reef, and that took quite a bit of effort. Was happy to finally let go and ascend to the surface.

You mentioned that you needed to breath from your regulator at the surface owing to the waves. Didn't you have a snorkel ?

I had the snorkel with me but the waves were pretty choppy so it wasn't too useful. Was so exhausted that from time to time that I felt more comfortable with the regulator.

New divers often don't have SMBs or other signalling devices, but then some experienced divers don't. Instructors can't teach much in OW classes so newbies need to ask & learn, but I didn't think of the Lost-at-sea risk until I saw it in a magazine shortly after certifying. Have carried the same sausage on every ocean and practice dive since.

My home bud & I carry our SMBs even on Cozumel led dives with the DM carrying one and send one of ours up anyway. We also carry Storm Whistles, backgas powerd Dive Alerts, lights on day dives, and mirrors. We may well rent a PLB and dive cannister for our next trip.

We keep our folded snorkels in out pockets, but they aren't too useful in big waves. I really like to keep my reg in my mouth until I am back on the boat, period - which is part of why we surface with 500 psi reserved: to use if needed!

Gloves are not allowed in the Red Sea.

Gordon and Jackson are cool dives.
They are not allowed many places. I've never heard of anyone cutting their hands on a drift line, but he was in some horrible conditions it seems. I do not agree with the decision to split up as the group would have been easier to find all together, but I wasn't there - it might have been a good idea.

OP - did you have to pay for the weights you ditched ?

I had the snorkel with me but the waves were pretty choppy so it wasn't too useful. Was so exhausted that from time to time that I felt more comfortable with the regulator.

I hear ya there. The snorkel is what it is. If your bobbing around in choppy sea it works. In heavy sea not so good. In a similar situation it could allow for the conservation of air in the event the sea got real rough. I find since I started using a wing I can get myself so far out of the water I don't really use a snorkel as much as I did with the jacket. A 3ft SMB isn't much use in 6ft seas. They make 12' SMB's. How high is up? Every piece of gear has limitations. I use fingerless salling gloves in warm water. Those gloves are made for handling wet rope and have thick leather pads on the palms. IMO gloves are safety equpiment and I will not dive anywhere that doesn't allow at least the carrying of gloves for use in emengencies. Like trying to get onto a coral reef in rough water in order to survive. I'll sacrfice a few coral to save my butt. If others are willing to sacrfice themselves that's fine for them.

Back
Top Bottom