Lost diver in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at Edmonds this morning, dropping somebody off at the ferry, and I drove through the parking lot. A fellow was getting ready to dive, and I stopped and asked him if he'd heard what the viz was doing. We got to talking, and in the conversation, he told me that he's actually "pretty bored at 40 feet". He likes deep -- He told me he only really likes a dive if he can get narced. The whole time, I'm thinking about this accident and feeling awful.

mexken:
Incidentaly, it is standard procedure to suspend an Instructor after an incident regardless of blame so that he has time to recover emotionaly before being in a position of responsibilty again.

NAUI will only suspend an Instructor prior (immediate)to the entire investigation is complete when there is valid reason to believe that safety/standards violations were horrible. Otherwise they get a letter and time to respond before it goes to the board for review and possible suspension/sanction.

In this case NAUI recieved multiple calls and emails from NAUI and other Instructors both that describe a pattern and specifics that were witnessed that required the training department to issue an immediate suspension of the members right to teach in the interest of safety to other divers. It now is at the beginning stages of the investigation and process as clearly outlined in NAUI Standards. The instructor will have the right to appeal any action taken.

Best,

Chris

My sincere condolences to his mother, family and friends; and prayers for comfort and strength. I can not conceive the pain of losing a child to any accident, let alone one that might have been prevented.

tony

mexken:
Bashing those involved, specifically the Professionals, without first hand knowledge of the details is at best irresponsible. As in most accidents at depth, it is very difficult to determine exactly what happened and impossible to know what the parties involved were thinking.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. We're not bashing the Instructor for what happened during the dive per se. It would be impossible from the statements made in this thread to determine what action the Instructor took underwater to prevent this tragedy from happening.

We're bashing the Instructor for their actions above water. What Instructor in their right mind would agree to a bounce dive to 200', at night, with al80 tanks filled with air, and 4 divers that did not have the training or experience for this type of situation?

Not to mention the possibility (I said possibility here) that the Instructor actually egged on the divers, and built up their confidence to make such a dive seem anything less than insane. Add on the fact that this Instructor has lost another diver in the past doing a similar dive, and the barriers for me, that like for yourself would normally prevent me from bashing a dive professional, start to break down.

It is easy for us to rationalize how a diver without experience or the training to execute a dive like this could get into trouble.

However, it is impossible for me to rationalize how an Instructor, given their past experiences (i.e. losing a friend on a similar dive 2 years ago), could ever sign off on this dive plan.

Would you agree?

~ Jason

It's very rare that we ever learn what exactly happened, who is to blame for sure, etc - but then, those are not the reasons for this forum.

The reason for this forum is to learn from possible mistakes made, and how to prevent making the same ones - regardless of whose plan it was and what the plan was for sure.

Anything more than that should be done in person, there....

mexken:
Bashing those involved, specifically the Professionals, without first hand knowledge of the details is at best irresponsible.
Normally I'd agree with you ... but in this case, it's warranted. And the bashing hasn't been even a fraction of what's deserved. In fact, it's been downright restrained ... rightfully so.

mexken:
As in most accidents at depth, it is very difficult to determine exactly what happened and impossible to know what the parties involved were thinking.
What happened at depth is not why this instructor is currently being investigated. He is being investigated for helping to plan and participate in a dive to 200+ feet with four of his current and former students ... all of whom lacked the training, experience, and equipment to do the dive successfully. In effect, they were playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in the chamber. That's just not behavior that is acceptable in a dive instructor.

mexken:
Incidentaly, it is standard procedure to suspend an Instructor after an incident regardless of blame so that he has time to recover emotionaly before being in a position of responsibilty again.
That is not NAUI's standard procedure.

mexken:
Yes, the Pros are hopefully more knowledgable than newer divers but as in teaching a person to drive a car, there is little the instructor can do about how the student chooses to drive thereafter.
To use your analogy, what if the instructor told him it would be OK to have a few stiff drinks and then go drag racing on the Interstate ... then crawled into the car to go help him do it.

mexken:
This fellow did a very brave thing and he will be remembered for it.
Chad lost his life saving another diver who otherwise would certainly have died. He should be honored for that. However, none of them should've been down there in the first place. Nobody is blaming Chad for that. The instructor is another matter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

usetodive:
I heard this was a Dive Master Class? The planned depth was 150' and 200+ was a mistake.

diver12345:
I have heard a slightly different version of what happened from a very reputable source. This was actually a divemaster class that was fininshing there last dives.The so called instructor was recently fired or removed from the Tacoma dive shop and had no insurance since being removed from the shops insurance.Also that it was a uncontrolled descent untill they found the bottom.There was never any mention of it being a dive to break someones personal best.

Seems there are three different opinions of what the dive plan and execution was:

1. planned to 200' to break personal best
2. planned to 150' but wound up at 200'
3. uncontrolled descent to bottom (no mention of planned MOD)

We don't need to speculate on which one was actually correct to arrive at the conclusion that this was a poorly planned dive, with inadequate equipment and training that violated agency standards. Planning a dive to 150 and winding up at 200 accidentally is evidence that nobody on the dive should have beeing planning on diving to 150 in the first place.

After reading this whole thread, ive realized one thing. None of you have any confirmed information beyond the fact that a few people went diving possibly including a Divemaster and an Instructor, and something happend underwater and one of the divers never returned. WHAT EVER HAPPENED CANNOT BE DETERMINED EXCEPT FROM THE PEOPLE (DIVERS) THAT WERE ON THE DIVE. How do any of you know what the instructor told the divers IF he said anything, you dont! No one even knows if the instructor was with the other divers. He could have just been diving at the same time! I dont think any of you have the right to comment on what the instructor did, and what should be done about it UNTIL actual FACTS are brought forth.

anakin:
After reading this whole thread, ive realized one thing. None of you have any confirmed information beyond the fact that a few people went diving possibly including a Divemaster and an Instructor, and something happend underwater and one of the divers never returned. WHAT EVER HAPPENED CANNOT BE DETERMINED EXCEPT FROM THE PEOPLE (DIVERS) THAT WERE ON THE DIVE. How do any of you know what the instructor told the divers IF he said anything, you dont! No one even knows if the instructor was with the other divers. He could have just been diving at the same time! I dont think any of you have the right to comment on what the instructor did, and what should be done about it UNTIL actual FACTS are brought forth.

Easy Anakin. I do understand your point in the abstract, but this is not a case of pure speculation or conjecture.

There is lots not being said on this board, and some of the people who are commenting are restraining themselves, part of that is due to the TOS of this board, part is out of respect for the individual who has died.

If the orginal account of Chads actions in returning to depth is correct and can be verified are there some other NAUI Instrs who would like to join me in nominating Chad for

ALBERT PIERCE MEDAL FOR HEROISM

Criteria

Any person is eligible who:

Successfully saved a life in an aquatics-related situation, and
Voluntarily exposed him/herself to grave personal risk of life, limb or continued health during the effort, and
Made a rescue effort clearly beyond the call of any explicit or implied duty. This is a key criterion that is intended to distinguish the actions needed for the award from those efforts normally expected and required of a NAUI Instructor in caring for students and divers in his or her vicinity, or for his or her personal students.
Nomination: by any NAUI member or by the rescued person involved

Back
Top Bottom