Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the longest a thread has gone with no futher participation from the thread initiator? I think he may be out fishing.:huh: I doubt if he is diving!:05:

Well, maybe he just drifted off.

That's so true, Rick.
Terri, drift diving in Cozumel (or Belize, etc.) is some of the EASIEST diving you can do. You don't go against the current, you just let it take you - slowly most of the time. You hardly have to kick, if at all, and your air consumption should be really good, because it's effortless.

The boat doesn't anchor anywhere, it just drifts along, following the divers.

Sometimes the currents in Coz are very SLOOOW, some are faster. Usually, when new people are on a boat, they'll go somewhere shallower and with a mild current, to let you get accustomed, so don't worry. Later in the week they'll usually take you to more challenging spots. Even then, you usually have to ask for the places that are known to have wicked currents - they're not usually standard fare.

If you have an advanced book, you might find it helpful to read the chapter on drift diving before you go. It gives helpful advice like descending as quickly as possible in a fast current because the current is faster at the surface then at depth. Also that the current is faster away from the reef or a structure, so to stay closer where it's calmer, and so on.

Drift diving is a lot of fun - don't worry! After your trip, you'll be spoiled about having to kick... :wink:

tkring:
OK, we are scheduled for our first COZ trip this year. Your stories are starting to make me wary .... Are the currents really that bad?

It's a piece of cake. 6 knots is DEFINITELY exaggerated I'd wager.

You'll love it. It's exciting, but not particularly difficult diving. You'll love it.

awap:
What is the longest a thread has gone with no futher participation from the thread initiator? I think he may be out fishing.:huh: I doubt if he is diving!:05:

Well, maybe he just drifted off.
Happens all the time. I know of one thread that went on for more than a year after the originator was permanently banned.
grinning-smiley-024.gif

Don't know if the "initiator" of this thread was one of the two divers floating around Palancar Horsehoe about 10:30 or so on, I think, Feb 11th. Neither diver had an inflated safety sausage. Our boat called theirs to advise it of the divers' location, and we could see it turn and come back to them. I don't know what op, but the boat was a long, long way north of them (at least 1/2 mile) and the seas were heavy enough that their boat would never have seen them without a substantial change in direction. My question then was -- and still is -- how they got so far from their boat, and so separated from the rest of their group (assuming they weren't alone when they entered the water). The current was strong, but certainly not 6 knots that day.

It's little episodes like this one that remind me that, while diving is great fun, you jolly well better pay attention or you can run into some very bad situations.

I've dove Coz and like the others have stated it is easy diving...

I also dove the Niagra River 2.5 miles in 40 minutes thats about .6 miles every 10 minutes or 3.6 miles an hour, at that speed if you hit a boulder you bounce off.

The currents in COZ were not even close...

I'd love to hear the other side of the story on this one as there are some HUGE holes left unexplained like....

How did this pair manage to get seperated from the DM and the group on not just ONE, or TWO but a whopping THREE dives!

Is fishing allowed in the marine sanctuary?

How in the world can this divers estimate the exact distance of 1.5miles?

People with hang overs are likely puking the first thing next morning, NOT several hours into the day? If he was sick from a hang over and puking between dives, he would have been puking the entire time.. Maybe he was just sea sick?

We would like to think that the people here on SB are honest, however here we have a new member with one post, no profile, and this IS the internet :11doh:

Maybe there were some issues however at the very least we are getting one side of this story, and it COULD be a Whopping fish story, a troll, or even someone just out to smear the EcoDivers name.

Anyone know how to contact EcoDivers/BlueBubbles to see if they are interested in responding to this? Because posts like this can result in a loss of business, and we should hear both sides before jumping all over the DiveOP.

RonFrank:
I'd love to hear the other side of the story on this one as there are some HUGE holes left unexplained like....

How did this pair manage to get seperated from the DM and the group on not just ONE, or TWO but a whopping THREE dives!

Is fishing allowed in the marine sanctuary?

How in the world can this divers estimate the exact distance of 1.5miles?

People with hang overs are likely puking the first thing next morning, NOT several hours into the day? If he was sick from a hang over and puking between dives, he would have been puking the entire time.. Maybe he was just sea sick?
Can't tell. All possible, really - all could be otherwise, hard to say.
We would like to think that the people here on SB are honest, however here we have a new member with one post, no profile, and this IS the internet :11doh:

Maybe there were some issues however at the very least we are getting one side of this story, and it COULD be a Whopping fish story, a troll, or even someone just out to smear the EcoDivers name.

Anyone know how to contact EcoDivers/BlueBubbles to see if they are interested in responding to this? Because posts like this can result in a loss of business, and we should hear both sides before jumping all over the DiveOP.

Site: http://www.cozumel-diving.net/ecodivers/

Email: ecodivers@cozumel-diving.net

Go for it, but would you really expect them to admit any of this if true? :D

RonFrank:
People with hang overs are likely puking the first thing next morning, NOT several hours into the day?

Hmm...you haven't had a really bad hangover have you? :wink:

Just kidding. And I hear your other points. I was wondering about the fishing too.

I wish valwood1 would guess at the current speed. I am fixated on that.

Back
Top Bottom