Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent:
I just have to ask: WHY DID YOU GO OUT THE SECOND DAY??????

I guess that question leads to: what were you thinking when you went out the THIRD day with the same outfit??????

SOunds like a bad deal all around but at some point you have to make good decisions for yourself. No way I would go out twice with a screwed up operation.

:huh: My thoughts exactly :huh:

Can be unpredictable. I dove with Dive Paradise in Coz last year. We splashed down to a gentle 1.5 knot and within 5 minutes it's swept up to 5 knots, we estimated. It was a TRIP. White sand was flying everywhere...it was like a blizzard. Viz was down to almost nothing. We had 12 divers and two REALLY GOOD DM's. Half the group was very experienced, half with 20 or less dives, and two divers were on their first open water dive. The DM's from Dive Paradise managed to keep most of us together, herding us down to a sheltered spot for a head count when it was convenient. We decided that day what the difference is between a good diver and a divemaster. A good diver has good bouyancy, can navigate, manage equipment, keep off the reef, and generally not screw up. A divemaster has to do all of the above, AND keep track of 12 other divers. :)

It was a fun dive tho. The CA divers in the group surfaced laughing, we felt right at home. The newbies asked "Are all ocean dives like that??" It was a great day...but no one got lost. Sorry that you weren't so lucky, Jimmy. Coz can be braindead but can also be pretty unpredictable.

tparrent:
I just have to ask: WHY DID YOU GO OUT THE SECOND DAY??????

I guess that question leads to: what were you thinking when you went out the THIRD day with the same outfit??????

SOunds like a bad deal all around but at some point you have to make good decisions for yourself. No way I would go out twice with a screwed up operation.
My guess is that he had a paid package with them, didn't want to spend more on another operator - not know if the others were any good either?

I tried Search for Ecodivers here, found 3 hits - 1 bad, 1 good, 1 I'm not sure about. Not much on them here? There were a few older posts on Blue Bubbles - not significant returns.

This could be a vendetta post, but Ecodivers doesn't seem to be a big enough operator for someone to bother attacking out of competion.

New members often post their problems here on their first post. :wink:

Scuba_Steve:
Especially when you're puking overboard and fishing instead of paying attention to your job. I'd call that a bit of a problem. :)

Glad you made it out of that CF alive Jimmy. I appreciate your post. Always good to know who to avoid.
I can see being distracted by puking, although a boat captain prone to sea-sickness should probably find a different job :cool:

The fishing thing sounds really weird. I always thought that fishing within the preserve would get you a big fine or free room-and-board in jail. I can't imagine a dive boat captain fishing in a drift-dive area.

Scuba_Steve:
I'd bet you won't have this problem with this op.
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/
They were great! I wish I had some vacation time left. I'd go back tomorrow.

Terry

yea, they do fish on dive charters and I was hooked. Then the captain told me next time he hooks me with his lure, not to move around so much...sigh. I am a very tolerant girl.

catherine96821:
six knot current? You are lucky your reg wasn't free-flowing. That is fast. I thought most places called the dive off over three. Does any one know?
6 Kts is higher than I've seen there, but COZ currents can definitely be ripping. That's why you just drift... as long as you're drifting with it there's no current to rip off a mask or cause a freeflow.
Rick

JeffG:
I can't be the only one with his BS meter pegged.
Yes but yours is more highly calibrated than others:D

Drifting at 6 knots for 45 minutes is a trip over 5 miles. You sure about that?

wedivebc:
Yes but yours is more highly calibrated than others:D
Practice

Rick Murchison:
6 Kts is higher than I've seen there, but COZ currents can definitely be ripping. That's why you just drift... as long as you're drifting with it there's no current to rip off a mask or cause a freeflow.
Rick

Agreed....my very first drift dives were in Coz, last summer. I was a tad apprehensive, but I remembered the DM's words, in his dive briefing, "relax, let the current do the work and enjoy the ride". Great advice and a great dive....I can't wait to go back!

Back
Top Bottom