Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another tool for signaling is to take along a CD. It can fit in your BC pocket and weighs nothing but can reflect light.

Glad you made it back safely. I've been in this situation twice and both times were unsettleing.

tkring:
Another tool for signaling is to take along a CD. It can fit in your BC pocket and weighs nothing but can reflect light.

Glad you made it back safely. I've been in this situation twice and both times were unsettleing.

Do a search for using a 'CD as a signalling device' with the search feature.
They are rather useless. Spend the $5 for a real signal mirror.
Try this thread and check the link that in post #10 by Lamont. It is a good read.

This sounds so strange. I've done almost 30 dives in Cozumel with Aqua Safari or Dive Paradise, and they never lost any of us. The boat drifted with us, following our bubbles. Different buddy pairs surfaced at different times, and they had no trouble following along, even on night dives. I guess if you lose track for even a short time, it could get really difficult, but for the boat to be miles behind... :06:

I've never seen any evidence of fishing either, from our dive boats...:06:

Has anybody ever dove a 5 knot current? I think your reg flows and your mask fills and your pants come down.

I have a picture of this poor man hooked in at Blue Corner, with his mask flooded and his board shorts around his knees. I would post it....but that would be wrong. and I would get another PM. No butts allowed.

catherine96821:
Has anybody ever dove a 5 knot current? I think your reg flows and your mask fills and your pants come down.

I have a picture of this poor man hooked in at Blue Corner, with his mask flooded and his board shorts around his knees. I would post it....but that would be wrong. and I would get another PM. No butts allowed.
In this kind of diving you don't hook in and leave yourself out in the current. You just go with the water... as long as you're moving with the water there is no current effect on regs or mask - like riding in a hot air baloon, there's no wind in the basket.
If you want to stop to look at something you don't hook in - you get behind something that will block the current. Quite different than what you're thinking of when you're thinking of diving in a current.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
In this kind of diving you don't hook in and leave yourself out in the current. You just go with the water... as long as you're moving with the water there is no current effect on regs or mask - like riding in a hot air baloon, there's no wind in the basket.
If you want to stop to look at something you don't hook in - you get behind something that will block the current. Quite different than what you're thinking of when you're thinking of diving in a current.
Rick

which is why you should always dive with big fat guys. They create eddies.

catherine96821:

LOL, that sounds too funny! I'd love to see the photo.

Its tempting......

Uncle Ricky, I get told all the time that people overestimate current speed. Do you think that is true? When I go places and they say the current is "smokin" , I always ask "what does that mean here" ? And several places have said that they call the dive off around three. What do you think?

I think our thread originator simply repeated what he heard of the current from someone on the boat - perhaps the hungover skipper.
sport-smiley-027.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom