losing your watch, plus other whinings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Back on here after an adventurous week visiting my gf in New Jersey (net result of which is that she came back with me, like, for good :) ).

Pointless question for this week is about the unfortunate experience of being in a green quarry, looking down at your wrist, and finding that your beloved timepiece is not where it was twenty minutes ago. I'm curious whether this happens a lot, what you do about it, advice on how to prevent it in the future (ie types of wriststraps to avoid, stuff to make it visible on the bottom, etc.), and so on.

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I went in for my first dive of the season at the Circleville (Ohio) Twin Quarries. It started in the south quarry. First the vis was awful, and my new fins were really wreaking havoc on my feet as they tried to break in. We climbed out to walk over the land bridge to get in the north quarry and continue our dive. Into the water. I noticed my watch was gone. I got a little sharp pain above my left eye. What else could go wrong today? Well, at least my new BC--the Triple-L one--was performing admirably. And my feet did stop being sore.

It's just gonna be a pain to go out and find another one. On the upside, at least it was just a lowly Casio, not a Rolex or something.

cheers

Billy S.

The very, very first thing you should do when you buy a dive watch is to buy one of the velcro watch bands.

Remove the factory band and reinstall the pins. Make sure you purchase one of the bands that goes over the pins and under the watch.

With these bands one of your pins can come off without you losing your watch. In fact, you will be alerted to the fact that you've lost a pin because you can feel the watch mechanism flopping about your wrist as you move around.

the K

This is what makes Aquatech watches at Walmart so great. They cost less then $7.00, so you don't care if you lose one. Though I do replace the band on them, I find the stock band makes it easy to lose when worn over a wet suit.

I don't think it happens real often, but it's possible. With a wet suit on you can't feel it, so if it comes off you don't know it until the next time you look.

Moogyboy:
hey all

Back on here after an adventurous week visiting my gf in New Jersey (net result of which is that she came back with me, like, for good :) ).

Pointless question for this week is about the unfortunate experience of being in a green quarry, looking down at your wrist, and finding that your beloved timepiece is not where it was twenty minutes ago. I'm curious whether this happens a lot, what you do about it, advice on how to prevent it in the future (ie types of wriststraps to avoid, stuff to make it visible on the bottom, etc.), and so on.

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I went in for my first dive of the season at the Circleville (Ohio) Twin Quarries. It started in the south quarry. First the vis was awful, and my new fins were really wreaking havoc on my feet as they tried to break in. We climbed out to walk over the land bridge to get in the north quarry and continue our dive. Into the water. I noticed my watch was gone. I got a little sharp pain above my left eye. What else could go wrong today? Well, at least my new BC--the Triple-L one--was performing admirably. And my feet did stop being sore.

It's just gonna be a pain to go out and find another one. On the upside, at least it was just a lowly Casio, not a Rolex or something.

cheers

Billy S.

Thats bad. Having a weightbelt fall off whilst underwater and wearing an ungodly amount of neoprene is worse....... :wink:

I go along with wayward......I take about 4 of those cheapy walmart watches with me on each trip. If I lose one...no biggie.... and they can be given as thank you gifts as well.
rich

So... who has found a watch diving? Seems like a lot get lost and they have to be somewhere.

I find an average of three watches a dive in the summertime searching around rope swings. Not to mention assorted jewelry from piercings, credit cards, keys, rings,etc. Never found a really good one but have got some pretty functional ones, such as Casio G-Shocks, etc.

Great to see that I'm not the only fan of the AquaTech watches. I got mien on sale for $5. Moogyboy, in the future leave the nice watches for the boat or land, and opt for a cheapie for the dive. They work fine as a backup bottome timer.

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom