Losing your #1 buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Death is a moment that all life must face. Think of all the good times and enjoy the ones you have left.

I'm sorry for your loss. That just sucks, and there's not much good to say about it. Time cuts these pieces off all of us. I'm sorry you hurt. *awkward man hug*

With the people I've lost, this is weird but I talk to them sometimes when I'm driving or doing something mechanical. Just stupid one-sided conversations. It isn't anything I do on purpose, I just do it. Like feeling the gap where the tooth is missing.

Go do something they'd have gotten a real laugh out of.

OK, here goes. I recently lost my #1 buddy and by far, my dearest friend, to that effin curse, cancer. I am having a hard time of it and need to move ahead and continue to dive or at least move forward. I see him on every dive I do and gotta tell you, it's not getting any easier. Tell me, does it get any easier as time goes or do I just accept it and choke up every dive. I don't know how to let him go and am having a tough time of it. You can be blunt, I need some thoughts on this. Please.

How recently? I like everything every one said, but it may be too early to "turn the page". You might just have to "put one foot in front of the other" at this point. Grieving takes time. Then after some time, you could begin to feel that he would want you to dive, to enjoy your life, etc.

Some people mentioned prayer, some people mentioned talking to him as if he were there, etc. Personally I have found therapy to be the best thing I ever did. THE BEST THING I EVER DID.

Best wishes to you.

- Bill

Don't loose perspective. Have gratitude for what you shared in the past. You had something that many others never experience, a deep meaningful relationship. There will be no replacement, no substitute, and time only pushes the feelings of loss deeper into our psyche. You owe it to your buddy to enjoy twice as much of life's joys to make up for their share.

To quote a friend's new tattoo.... "**** Cancer".

My main buddy of 35 years would come back from his grave and haunt my ass until I got back into the water if I stopped diving. And I'd do the same to him... A couple of soggy apparitions...

If you and your buddy were that connected in the water, then you owe it to his memory to strap those fins back on...

I believe the saying that we shouldn't be sad they die, but happy and grateful that they lived. Live as he'd want you to live.

Sorry he passed.

Best,

It never goes away. You just learn to deal with it better as time goes by. I hope you might find some comfort in knowing you are not alone in your grief.

I try to be more like the people I love who are gone forever. I think about what they would do, I say things they used to say, I'm kind In ways they were kind. It keeps them fresh in my heart and means they will be with me until I'm gone as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I lost my Dad 10 years ago. We practiced medicine together for 8 years. You just pick up the pieces and keep going. No, it will never be the same. But you can honor your friend's memory by continuing to dive in his honor and memory.The first time I truly missed my Dad was when I turned to ask him a question about what did he think I should with a patient. I would normally use him as a sounding board. But when I turned around he wasn't there. I still miss my sounding board. But I continue to honor his memory and take care of his patients whom I absorbed into my practice. We will sometimes smile and remember something he would have said or done. And in that small way he is still with us.I feel for your loss and hope you have some peace and comfort that comes with time. I hope thT you can smile again not just diving but in life. Peace in Christ.

Lost my wife to cancer in 2009 & think about her every day. Take your time. For a while such a loss is the overwhelming center of your existence---at least it was for me---but somehow, someday, for better or worse it becomes your past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom