Looking to replace my Regulator, what bands and models to consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atagrob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to replace a 25 year old US Divers set-up. Both the 2nd Stage and Octo where recalled but I never got the notice.

About me:
I'm about to turn 50 and want this set-up to last the rest of my diving life. So companies that have been around a long time and have a history of supporting discontinue models. Equipment design known for longevity.

I dive several times a year from the Caribbean, Central America and California. I expect Monterey Bay would be the farthest north I would ever dive.

So far I have never felt the need to dive below 90'. Just nothing more to see. Doesn't mean I won't in the future but not a regular part of my diving.

So far no Nitrox but the kids are done college, bills are going down and there may be more money and time available for diving. There may be Nitrox in my future if it opens up more interesting dives.

I'm attracted to Scubapro but can't give a rational reason why. So I'm ask you what mid range set ups should I consider given the above information?

What good packages are out there? I'm going to replace my 25 year old computer as well. I want one that automatically turns itself on when you hit the water.

If I left out any important info ask away.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Deep 6, hog, dive rite on a bang for the buck factor. Deep 6 had a cyber Monday deal for a first and second stage for 250.

Apeks, zeagle, the higher end scubapros, and atomic are all good too but you will be paying twice as much for the name brand.

What reg do you have currently? The conshelf 14 and 21 still have plenty of fans. The older scubapro like the mk5/10 and 109/156/g250 are also popular. You don't need to buy new if you are the diy type.

For longevity and highest performance regulators, Atomic is top first with Scubapro close second. The Atomic regulators with their top performance have been the least problematic for me in my personal diving and in my school.

Lots of options. When we upgraded some ten years ago we went with Atomic Aquatic regs. Soild piston regs and nice streamlined second stages. I like that little has changed in almost 20 years except minor things most of are cosmetically. And lots of interchangeability between the regs. AA regs do run on the upper end of the price range. But there are always some nice used ones up for sale.

ScubaPro were of interest but their second stages are bulky. Also I was soured on their ownership and sale policies.

As for NITROX - certainly worth getting certified and using. Most all computers turn on once they hit the water. There are lots of options but for aging eyes look at some the larger color screens.

Regarding the recall - check with AquaLung as they are US Divers now.

Deep 6 regs are just as good, or better, than any of "We are the best brands".

The advantage of the the very large brands is world wide service.

On the other hand, Deep 6 provides service kits that you can take with you on any
trip.

Deep 6 or Dive Rite. They both make good regulators.

You can not beat Deep 6 when it comes to customer service. They do not just sell you stuff, they will OWN you as a customer. They are very one-on-one with the customers and that matters a lot.

I got XS Scuba Inspire for $424.95, 1st and 2nd stages. It is balanced, proofed to 40% O2, and I like the L-shape of the 1st stage with the free-rotating head. The only problem with this brand is nobody keeps any replacement parts in stock.

I got XS Scuba Inspire for $424.95, 1st and 2nd stages. It is balanced, proofed to 40% O2, and I like the L-shape of the 1st stage with the free-rotating head. The only problem with this brand is nobody keeps any replacement parts in stock.

Have you dove with it and how does it perform?

If you're going to the Caribbean, stick with Scubapro. Yes, you'll pay a bit more but it's quality gear and you can get it serviced ANYWHERE.

If you're asking us for regulator advice, I doubt whether carrying your own service kits makes any sense at all for you.

Back
Top Bottom