Looking to Replace 10+ Year Old Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving with a set of Tusa Xpert Zooms for over 10 years now and finally looking to replace them. Main reasons are that the fins are negative, causing my trim profile to be angled down. I put them in my pool and they sink almost immediately. Also, at 24"long, they do not lend themselves well to packing in a smaller bag. Finally, being a split fin they are difficult to maneuver and I find myself occasionally silting and not being able to go where I want to go, especially in tight swim-throughs or wrecks.

I dive warm water exclusively, so no dry suit or thick boots, but would like to stay with an open-heeled fin for the extra protection. I dive in Cozumel frequently, so the new fin must be able to keep up with the types of currents found there.

I have been looking at the Avanti Quattro Plus, and am almost ready to pull the trigger, but they are nearly the same length as my splits. Is this a big downside? I am also looking at the Deep6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams but don't have any experience with those type of fins.

Any input would be appreciated.

It is like asking wetsuits; what thickness do I need for 78F water? My answer may not work for you.

Generally speaking, paddle fins will generate more thrust than split fins, and stiff fins will generate more thrust than floppy fins. Beyond that, it is dependent on your kick(s) and your leg/ankle strength.

A lot of people like the Eddys, and the Quattros, but then a lot of people like arugula and cauliflower, too.

You need to try them out to know for sure. Little differences in the fins can make big differences to you, for example the shape of the foot pocket.

Scubapro Go Sport Fins have a great following with great reviews

Of the Mares, ScubaPro, and Deep 6 fins which I've owned, I'd rank Deep 6 first, Mares second, ScubaPro last. I use the Go Fins for pool only.

No experience with the OMS Slipstream. Only have the OMS Tribal fins (heavy).

I have been diving with a set of Tusa Xpert Zooms for over 10 years now and finally looking to replace them. Main reasons are that the fins are negative, causing my trim profile to be angled down. I put them in my pool and they sink almost immediately. Also, at 24"long, they do not lend themselves well to packing in a smaller bag. Finally, being a split fin they are difficult to maneuver and I find myself occasionally silting and not being able to go where I want to go, especially in tight swim-throughs or wrecks.

I dive warm water exclusively, so no dry suit or thick boots, but would like to stay with an open-heeled fin for the extra protection. I dive in Cozumel frequently, so the new fin must be able to keep up with the types of currents found there.

I have been looking at the Avanti Quattro Plus, and am almost ready to pull the trigger, but they are nearly the same length as my splits. Is this a big downside? I am also looking at the Deep6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams but don't have any experience with those type of fins.

Any input would be appreciated.
This is an interesting question. I recently dived with a man who had dived Atomic split fins for years. He bought some Scubapro Go Sport fins for a liveaboard to Belize. He did not think highly of the new fins on the first couple of dives, they were very different to what he was used to. By the end of the trip. he thought highly of the new fins and had experimented with new kicks, like frog kick. It all depends on what you're used to.

You made me look. I've had my TUSA X-pert Zooms since mid - 2008. Started alternating them with ScubaPro Twin Jets (also split fins) I purchased in 2015. I originally got the split fins which did alleviate leg pain I had with regular fins. Got the Jets so I didn't have to travel with boots and most of my diving is warm water. Just recently, in my last few dive trips, the full foot Jets have started rubbing a spot on the top of my foot, even with neoprene socks, after about 4 dives. I think my foot must have changed shape!!

Thinking about asking my local dive shops if they have some demos they will let me try out at home in the pool. Would also like something shorter.

The Scubapro Go Sport Fins and you will never have to look back. They are the greatest thing since duck feet. I have put away all of my other fins including the Mares Quattros and the AquaLung. I love the Go Sport Fins because they are light, very comfortable foot pocket, very easy to kick with using any fin kick, small enough to easily fit into gear bags for travel, powerful for surface swims and in currents. No other fins have made such impression on me in MANY years.

You can do search here on SB for "Go Sport" fins and you will see at least two threads about it. The greater majority who tried it love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom