Looking to Buy a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that once. Going through the rEvo checklist I had a glitch between opening the DIL and getting to the O2 turn on. Was on the surface and saw the PPO2 dropping, spit out the loop and breathed some air.
Changed my checklist so opening O2 was WAY up on the list. As in open DIL, check ADV, open O2...

I would have thought that everyone is taught to turn on your oxygen before anything else. Both units I'm certified on oxygen its absolutely on before you put the unit on your back. That should be standard. Scary that it's not.

I would have thought that everyone is taught to turn on your oxygen before anything else. Both units I'm certified on oxygen its absolutely on before you put the unit on your back. That should be standard. Scary that it's not.

I was taught that the rEvo Pre-Jump checklist is intended to be performed after the unit is donned and you're (otherwise) ready to splash. When you finish the checklist (which includes the pre-breathe), you can stand up and giant stride yourself right into the water immediately. So, as @broncobowsher alluded to, if you follow it strictly, you'd have the unit on, open the dil and do its checks before you ever open the O2.

Like @broncobowsher, the way I have come to actually do the pre-jump is that I turn on dil and O2 and all the electronics before I ever don the unit. When I get to those steps in the checklist, it's now checking to make sure they're on, rather than actually turning them on.

I heard of an O2 fire once that happened when a CCR diver turned on their O2. I would not care to have that happen while wearing the unit...

I was taught that the rEvo Pre-Jump checklist is intended to be performed after the unit is donned and you're (otherwise) ready to splash. When you finish the checklist (which includes the pre-breathe), you can stand up and giant stride yourself right into the water immediately. So, as @broncobowsher alluded to, if you follow it strictly, you'd have the unit on, open the dil and do its checks before you ever open the O2.

I'm surprised. It seems like a bad idea to have the oxygen on so late in the checklist. Glad yall are adjusting that yourselves. It's asking for somebody to jump in without access to oxygen. Add a hypoxic dil and that's bad bad

If there is anything good about turning it on after it is on your back, you have the muscle memory training for the valves.

I'm surprised. It seems like a bad idea to have the oxygen on so late in the checklist. Glad yall are adjusting that yourselves. It's asking for somebody to jump in without access to oxygen. Add a hypoxic dil and that's bad bad

I can see how somebody might think the way it is is a good idea. The pre-jump checklist is short and it's organized so that you open dil and do all the dil-related checks first. Then, you open the O2 and do all the O2-related checks. When you're done, the loop is implicitly at a pO2 of 0.7 or higher and you're ready to splash. Also, if you skipped the step of turning on the O2, there are several later steps that should ensure you catch that error.

Also, if you're NOT going to follow the checklist, then it seems like it doesn't really matter what order the steps are in. You could still splash with the O2 off...

Need to check the ADV, hence dil first then O2.

It kind of makes sense to turn on the dil and suit inflate, then get into the rig. Tend to suck on the ADV from in front of the unit before I climb in. Connect suit inflate and get everything tightened up, then check drysuit inflate + deflate, wing inflate, suit heater. Computers on wrists, then turn on O2, and validate that works with solenoid after changing setpoint. Sort of left to right as you're sitting in it.

Need to check the ADV, hence dil first then O2.

It kind of makes sense to turn on the dil and suit inflate, then get into the rig. Tend to suck on the ADV from in front of the unit before I climb in. Connect suit inflate and get everything tightened up, then check drysuit inflate + deflate, wing inflate, suit heater. Computers on wrists, then turn on O2, and validate that works with solenoid after changing setpoint. Sort of left to right as you're sitting in it.

Why are you implying that you can't check the ADV with the O2 on?

Anybody has an opinion on AP Diving? They seems to make pretty simple and easy to customize rebreathers
I like AP! They are just as good as any CCR as long the operator use it well. My first was a classic, now upgraded with Golem TOS CL and AV1 head, by the way, AV1 rocks! A guy gave me a flooded evo +, and soon Will instal a vision within it.
Just Love mine, a friend has a JJ and they are quite similar on the base design.
Although not as popular on this side of atlantic i would keep on using them for a good time. My sidewinder sticking with travel, cave and not só deep stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom