Looking to buy a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had several different dry suits over the years. My two current dry suits are the SEAC Warm Dry and the HOG dry suit. The SEAC is my primary suit. It's by far the best suit I've ever dived. It's 4mm compressed neoprene and swims like a wetsuit. Most dry suits tend to be baggy and have a lot of extra material that has to be folded over or makes managing the bubble a little more difficult. This isn't the case with the SEAC. The HOG suit is my backup and the one I use in cold water (meaning below 60). While the SEAC keeps me warm with thin undergarments in 60+ water I didn't get it large enough to accommodate thicker undergarments. Most of my diving is in 68 degree water. My next suit will be a larger SEAC so I can use thicker undergarments. While I like the HOG (which is made by USIA btw), it is baggy. It works fine with thick undergarments and keeps me warm. What I really like about both suits is the price. Neither of them retail for even close to $2500. I have over 100 dives on both suits and am would buy either one again.

What is the difference between the SEAC Overdry and Warmdry suit? As for compressed/crushed material: is there any way to know the "degree of compression"? i.e. does a "5mm compressed/crushed" originate from a thicker neoprene than a 2-3.5mm?

I am also thinking on a winter suit, candidates are Aquata CRUSH and the Seac suits.

I've had several different dry suits over the years. My two current dry suits are the SEAC Warm Dry and the HOG dry suit. The SEAC is my primary suit. It's by far the best suit I've ever dived. It's 4mm compressed neoprene and swims like a wetsuit. Most dry suits tend to be baggy and have a lot of extra material that has to be folded over or makes managing the bubble a little more difficult. This isn't the case with the SEAC. The HOG suit is my backup and the one I use in cold water (meaning below 60). While the SEAC keeps me warm with thin undergarments in 60+ water I didn't get it large enough to accommodate thicker undergarments. Most of my diving is in 68 degree water. My next suit will be a larger SEAC so I can use thicker undergarments. While I like the HOG (which is made by USIA btw), it is baggy. It works fine with thick undergarments and keeps me warm. What I really like about both suits is the price. Neither of them retail for even close to $2500. I have over 100 dives on both suits and am would buy either one again.

Look as used dry suits if you are normal proportions. You won't get a perfect fit, but that is not critical in a d/s. You will save a ton of money. I purchased a DUI with all the bells and whistles (fins, boots, p-valve, pockets, spare zip seals, carry bags, etc...). Probably about a 3K investment for the original owner, I ended up with it for 1/3rd the original price with only 10 dives on it. I have seen other similar deals on SB. I suspect it will last me 10 years with just a new set of seals now and then.

Lot's of people jump into diving and spend big bucks only to discover they don't love it or life gets in the way (non-diving spouses, kids, jobs, etc...). Dry suites are so expensive it makes sense to look at used options.

I am looking to that also. Unfortunately I seem to be too tall compared to most local divers and can't wait too long (next dive at the first weekend of July):(. I hope to get a reasonable deal on an Aquata CRUSH and stay below the 1k$ mark.

Look as used dry suits if you are normal proportions. You won't get a perfect fit, but that is not critical in a d/s. You will save a ton of money. I purchased a DUI with all the bells and whistles (fins, boots, p-valve, pockets, spare zip seals, carry bags, etc...). Probably about a 3K investment for the original owner, I ended up with it for 1/3rd the original price with only 10 dives on it. I have seen other similar deals on SB. I suspect it will last me 10 years with just a new set of seals now and then.

Lot's of people jump into diving and spend big bucks only to discover they don't love it or life gets in the way (non-diving spouses, kids, jobs, etc...). Dry suites are so expensive it makes sense to look at used options.

I am looking to that also. Unfortunately I seem to be too tall compared to most local divers and can't wait too long (next dive at the first weekend of July):(. I hope to get a reasonable deal on an Aquata CRUSH and stay below the 1k$ mark.

I wish you the best. I was tempted also to purchase a 2nd tier suite and get new instead of top self used. It would have been more tempting if I could try it on locally.

Do realize once you have that new dry suite that your first few dives will be a rodeo as you relearn how to dive. Ideally, you need to devote time to learning the gear and how to deal with emergencies such as end up inverted or having an inflation valve stuck open or exhaust valve blocked. Personally, I had to mess with my trim and weight significantly. I felt like a novice for at least 1/2 doz dives.

If you have the opportunity to check out a Santi suit, it's well worth considering. I demo'd an E Lite last year, and when my DUI started leaking on every dive, a Santi was my top choice for a replacement. The suits are phenomenally well made. I had the chance to turn my loaner inside out, and seeing how all the seams were finished etc gave me a great deal of confidence in the longevity of the suit. The price for a custom cut suit is not much more than stock, so you can truly get a perfect fit instead of dealing with just good enough.

I currently own 4 drysuits, but have a "go to" suit 99% of the time. The choices of suits for my drysuit diving has come full circle. I started out many years ago in a Whites 6mm neoprene suit. For most dives, I would wear a t-shirt and shorts as my base (and only) layer. The thing was a beast though. Weighed a ton and took forever to dry.

i eventually converted to a Bilam suit in 2001 with a Whites catalyst. It fit perfectly (still does) and served me well. It was super light weight and dried very fast. However, Bilam material would always sweat quite a bit, and the outer layer of my undergarments would collect a sheen of moisture. On winter days, this would become a thin ice layer, and I found myself getting chilled during dives. Onward I ventured to a Bare Trilam HD Tech which solved all issues. Supple material, stayed dry, still relatively light weight, and overall great suit.

Fairly recently, I started wondering about crushed neoprene suits again. I wanted to eliminate the thick base layers and find a more form fitting suit. I wanted a drysuit that dove more like a wetsuit. So I picked up a Waterproof D10. The stock size ML fit like a glove, and the suit was a joy to dive in. Warm, comfortable, thin base layers, hydrodynamic. However, the rear zipper across the shoulders, requiring a buddy to zip me in and out was bothersome.

So, finally, I came across an article about Seasoft Drysuits out of Olympia, WA made with Yamamoto neoprene. The suits were very unexpectedly dreemed by independent testers as most comfortable, most flexible, dries, easiest to doff and don, relatively light, tough material, hydrodynamic..etc. This was in a side by side comparison with DUI, BARE, Whites Fusion, Pinnacle, Waterproof, ScubaPro... The Seasoft suits got first and second place.

Well I had one custom made and I have to say that it is now my "go to" suit. The attached boots are the famous and supportive Seasoft Stealths, the suit is by far the most flexible and comfortable suit I've ever dived in, and it doesn't require much more than a thin polypropylene long undy set as an undergarment for water above about 50F. I did wear a capelene one piece base layer for recent dives in 42 degree water.

Check this suit out as well as the others. SEASOFT Ti 5000? Drysuits - Suits

I realized that. I'll do a couple of dives with an instructor first. Probably the neoprene - even crushed - won't help much here...

Do realize once you have that new dry suite that your first few dives will be a rodeo as you relearn how to dive. Ideally, you need to devote time to learning the gear and how to deal with emergencies such as end up inverted or having an inflation valve stuck open or exhaust valve blocked. Personally, I had to mess with my trim and weight significantly. I felt like a novice for at least 1/2 doz dives.

Second hand: anytime. New: not my budget.
Check this suit out as well as the others. SEASOFT Ti 5000?

I used to have a neo drysuit when I began. It's good but take time to dry and it's heavy. Now, I prefer Trilam and my last suit is a Bare Tec Dry. Front zip, you can add as an option the SiTec removabale wrist and neck seal (with a choice of latex or silicone), and the most important, an affordable cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom