Looking to buy a deco bottle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faber confirmed that their tanks leave the factory "OIL" free

The implication being that what happens after that is not in their control. SO it all depends on what the supplier or LDS does with the tank.

In my case the tank was clean but the valve (maybe) not. So a little work to be done before using it to make sure.

Can you provide some documentation to prove this? I don't think it's true at all.
Pretty sure those are the Compressed Gas Association's guidelines, but I don't have time to double check.

They are not a federal requirement.

I did not make that statement lightly or without supporting documentation. Like this explanation by the "Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention Branch, Standards and Rulemaking Division" of the The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration as to when you have to oxygen clean scuba tanks containing nitrox.

Q1: If a cylinder is to be used to transport Nitrox, at what Oxygen percentage must a cylinder used for Oxygen service be cleaned and must the cylinder cleaning conform to the cleanliness standards specified in 173.302?

A1: Gas mixtures with Oxygen concentrations greater than 23.5% by volume should be considered to cause or contribute to combustion of other material to a greater extent than air. These gas mixtures must be described as "Compressed gas, oxidizing, n.o.s." and must be classified and labeled with a Division 2.2 (nonflammable gas) primary hazard and a Division 5.1 (oxidizer) subsidiary hazard. If the Oxygen concentration is greater than 23.5%, the conditions specified in § 173.302(b) must be met. Each DOT Aluminum cylinder, including a 3AL cylinder, must be cleaned in accordance with the requirements of General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D, paragraphs 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 (IBR, see §171.7 of this subchapter). Cleaning agents equivalent to those specified in Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D may be used provided they do not react with Oxygen. One cylinder selected at random from a group of 200 or fewer and cleaned at the same time must be tested for oil contamination in accordance with Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D, paragraph 4.3.2, and meet the specified standard of cleanliness. The HMR does not indicate specific cleaning standards for 3AA steel cylinders used for Oxygen service.

PHMSA - Interpretations - Interpretation #11-0175

I did not make that statement lightly or without supporting documentation. Like this explanation by the "Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention Branch, Standards and Rulemaking Division" of the The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration as to when you have to oxygen clean scuba tanks containing nitrox.

Q1: If a cylinder is to be used to transport Nitrox, at what Oxygen percentage must a cylinder used for Oxygen service be cleaned and must the cylinder cleaning conform to the cleanliness standards specified in 173.302?

A1: Gas mixtures with Oxygen concentrations greater than 23.5% by volume should be considered to cause or contribute to combustion of other material to a greater extent than air. These gas mixtures must be described as "Compressed gas, oxidizing, n.o.s." and must be classified and labeled with a Division 2.2 (nonflammable gas) primary hazard and a Division 5.1 (oxidizer) subsidiary hazard. If the Oxygen concentration is greater than 23.5%, the conditions specified in § 173.302(b) must be met. Each DOT Aluminum cylinder, including a 3AL cylinder, must be cleaned in accordance with the requirements of General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D, paragraphs 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 (IBR, see §171.7 of this subchapter). Cleaning agents equivalent to those specified in Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D may be used provided they do not react with Oxygen. One cylinder selected at random from a group of 200 or fewer and cleaned at the same time must be tested for oil contamination in accordance with Federal Specification RR¿C¿901D, paragraph 4.3.2, and meet the specified standard of cleanliness. The HMR does not indicate specific cleaning standards for 3AA steel cylinders used for Oxygen service.

PHMSA - Interpretations - Interpretation #11-0175
this is for use in commerce.
Scuba tanks used by individuals going to/from dive sites and shops are not "in commerce" for US DOT purposes. If this applied you'd have to placard your car :p

Hey, it won't be ME that the plaintiff's attorney will ask why they are engaging in dangerous activities contrary to the law and then you get to explain to the jury how you really were both legally justified and acting safely in ignoring the law and the industry best practices. I'm sure it will be fun.

Hey, it won't be ME that the plaintiff's attorney will ask why they are engaging in dangerous activities contrary to the law and then you get to explain to the jury how you really were both legally justified and acting safely in ignoring the law and the industry best practices. I'm sure it will be fun.

Except you're wrong. You don't know the definition of "in commerce". DOT only regulates cylinders when they are being used in commerce. Cylinders in my car, truck, at my house, or at a dive site are not in commercial transport and are not in commerce. They are potentially in commerce while on a commercial boat but I doubt that has ever been litigated. They are "in commerce" when transported in commercial quantities which is defined as 1,000 lbs of cylinders and gas. They are for sure in commerce while they are being filled for money. As soon as they return to my private non-commercial vehicle they no longer are. There is no obligation to O2 clean recreational nitrox cylinders by US DOT. Go ahead and clean them but stop fear mongering about everyone getting sued cause its not true.

ut stop fear mongering about everyone getting sued cause its not true.
Dude, it's the Scuba way.

Back
Top Bottom