Looking to buy a deco bottle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at getting an AL40 for my first deco bottle. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at in terms of oxygen cleanliness or specific valve types? Or will anything work as long as it's O2 cleaned after purchase? Thanks

just about anything will work as long as it has been O2 cleaned properly, both tank and valve. It can be expensive though so weigh that against the price of a new tank that comes O2 clean

As tbone1004 stated, have it O2 cleaned immediately. New tanks will have pro valves that allow you to use DIN (which I and most I think would recommend) as well as yoke.

Are all tanks in UK/USA oxygen clean. I just purchased a 7 litre steel Faber (new) and was told it is only Nx clean and not oxygen clean? Hence when I get home from holidays I was going to clean it before first use?

Ok just looked up some LDS web sites and some say the tanks are O2 clean, and others say they require cleaning. Talk about a mixed bag of information?

Looked on Faber site but it had no information I could find which suggests either clean or not clean

Last edited:
Are all tanks in UK/USA oxygen clean. I just purchased a 7 litre steel Faber (new) and was told it is only Nx clean and not oxygen clean? Hence when I get home from holidays I was going to clean it before first use?

Ok just looked up some LDS web sites and some say the tanks are O2 clean, and others say they require cleaning. Talk about a mixed bag of information?

Looked on Faber site but it had no information I could find which suggests either clean or not clean
How are the tanks shipped? Not with a valve. Who knows what gets into the cylinder during shipping (this is what was explained to me).

all of the bottles that I have seen come shipped in a sealed off plastic bag with a threaded valve plug... I don't know about steels, but I know the luxfers all come from the factory O2 clean

A valve is not the only thing used to seal a tank.
True, but I've seen al40's without anything in a box.

I can only comment on Faber.

All the cylinders I've seen for sale (new) are air. normally marked with Black and white quadrants on the neck and shoulder (in the UK).

Generally then they are O2 cleaned if you want EANx. I guess it's easier and cheaper that way.

Back
Top Bottom