Looking to buy a deco bottle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was curious given some posts say that the best way to get a O2 clean cylinder is to buy a new one over buying second hand and then O2 cleaning as the new ones are already O2 clean???

I have emailed faber for clarification, but no response to date, however I am suspecting they are not O2 clean but only good for Nx. Perhaps they are clean but faber might not certify them as clean as they cannot be responsible for the cylinder on its journey to the user? Anyway if they respond I can find the answer anyway.

US DOT requires that any tank used for more than 23.5% be oxygen cleaned.

Is that regardless of you using Nx to 50% or full oxygen use?

From what I have established is that the Faber tanks are oxygen clean from the factory, however the fitted valves are not and require cleaning and servicing for oxygen

Depends on which valves you order

This. I bought an AL40, brand new. Like tbone said, it was in a bag with a plastic threaded plug. The valve came out of a bag and into the tank. O2 was then pumped into it. That was it. As for Fabers, they also come in a bag with a threaded plug....but I've never pumped O2 into one, just banked EANx.

FWIW, the steel Faber HP 100's I recently bought came out of the box with blue plastic sealed caps and bagged in plastic.

US DOT requires that any tank used for more than 23.5% be oxygen cleaned.

used" or filled? I was not really aware that the DOT cared that much other than the hydro stamp. around my area, most shops bank ~32% and only require "o2" prepped if you are pumping 100* in the tank for partial pressure blending.

This. I bought an AL40, brand new. Like tbone said, it was in a bag with a plastic threaded plug. The valve came out of a bag and into the tank. O2 was then pumped into it. That was it. As for Fabers, they also come in a bag with a threaded plug....but I've never pumped O2 into one, just banked EANx.
Did they VIP it first before pumping O2 into it?

They did, yeah.
Okay good. As in one case, after sitting for a number of months, there were carbon deposits eating at the walls. XS Scuba said that it was avoidable if a VIP had been performed. Fortunately, a few tumbles took care of the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom