Looking into buying my first bcd (EU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched from a hybrid BCD with integrated weights to BP/W recently. In terms of what I am taking underwater: never very much. No pockets needed, really.
As for weights and trim: I dive in my 6mm wetsuit with only 2 kg of weight in trim pouches (1 kg each) on my tank in freshwater (the rest of the weight is in the 3 kg steel backplate). In saltwater I use 2 more kg of lead, in two trim pouches on the other camband.
For travel, I could take the BC apart and pack it all quite flat. For air travel, I consider buying a separate aluminum backplate and harness to save some weight. This will mean adding another 2 kg of lead somewhere, though.

My point being: BP/W for recreational dives only (maybe some tech stuff in the future, I only have to get another wing for doubles). But as far as the packing goes, the lead that I need, and the (lack of) 'stuff' around my waist - BP/W is it for me. The essentials of the system are not very different from any other BC. I dive with people I never met before sometimes, and they do understand it. Just no ditchable weights. I dive a balanced rig.

For € 400, you can get a BP/W set (XDEEP Zeos Standard Set - buy now - XDEEP Zeos Standard Set) or you can shop for a hybrid model, like the Cressi.

Lead needed: BP/W has less padding (potential buoyancy) and it has an alu or steel backplate. Weight could be in trim pouches (better for trim), or on added pouches on the waist strap, even ditchable ones. That would add 40-60 € or so (or find a set that already has them, like the Tecline travel set).

Ruggedness: BP/W are tough as nails. And the bonus: if one component would fail, you can easily replace that one component. That's the beauty of the modular setup. Not just for maintenance purposes though, also for (literally) adding features and stuff you feel you need.

Travel/packing: the weight of the backplate (especially steel) is a consideration. On the other hand: the stability and placement of that backplate weight in the water is what I find so great about a BP/W. If you take the wing off the backplate, it can be packed quite small.

Pockets: you can add cargo pockets if you like. Or just add one or two additional D-rings to clip stuff onto. For me, that's enough. I don't take much on most dives (back-up light on left-hand shoulder D-ring, spool & DSMB on butt D-ring). I also have a big leg pocket on my thigh. That mostly is empty on a quick Saturday morning dive. But that could hold wetnotes, spare mask, etc. But like I said, you can get an easy to put on/off cargo pocket for that. Something like this: Mares XR-Line Cargo Pocket bij sublub

For ocean cleaning missions, I would personally take a mesh bag or something.

PS: I am aware this is all written down from a BP/W point of view. I suppose you can make your own considerations with a hybrid-style back-inflate BC in mind.

I can't believe the badgering and bullying taking place here. The OP clearly stated his wants and preferences and isn't asking for advice on the type of BC he should buy, he is merely asking about brands and models that fit within the type of BC he wants. He kept stating repeatedly that he isn't into BP/W and even prefaced his post by stating he does NOT want a BP/W BC and prefers other configuration only to be badgered over and over yet he is always stating that he doesn't want a BP/W but the badgering and bullying continues.

WORRY NOT , for the option is still there, it is all still on the table and the decision not yet been made. Five coin tosses , three naps and another word of encouragement might just prompt me to push the buy button on a brand new BP/W . What I came here for was arguments, pros cons, discussion and it finally seems to be going in the right direction.
@BoltSnap not sure if that comment was aimed at me, but this prompted me to go a bit more into depth on some actual pros and cons of either setup.

I can't believe the badgering and bullying taking place here. The OP clearly stated his wants and preferences and isn't asking for advice on the type of BC he should buy, he is merely asking about brands and models that fit within the type of BC he wants. He kept stating repeatedly that he isn't into BP/W and even prefaced his post by stating he does NOT want a BP/W BC and prefers other configuration only to be badgered over and over yet he is always stating that he doesn't want a BP/W but the badgering and bullying continues.
You mean just like you keep pushing Scubapro brand, even when people say they are not interested in it?

You mean just like you keep pushing Scubapro brand, even when people say they are not interested in it?
I don't push it, I mention it as an option when people are looking for options. The OP said that he liked a particular SP model but it was out of his budget not that he didn't want any SP bc.

Now, you are just trying to justify your bulling and harassment when the OP very clearly stated he isn't into BP/W from his first post.

I don't push it, I mention it as an option when people are looking for options. The OP said that he liked a particular SP model but it was out of his budget not that he didn't want any SP bc.

Now, you are just trying to justify your bulling and harassment when the OP very clearly stated he isn't into BP/W from his first post.
"but a recreational backplate wing system here is virtually unheard off people are still stuck on jackets and I don't mind pioneering."
I sure did read that different from you. Post #4 also seems to contradict you.
@Alkemichar don't worry. I bought my BPW with about 10 dives and no one gave a damn about it.

Here are some back-inflate BCs. I put the (dry) weight in there, the best price I could find it at in the EU (new), and - if applicable - any shortcomings (if there is no other remark, the product has integrated weights of some sort, and decent pockets).

I am sure there are more. These are the ones I could find in about 30 minutes:

Apeks Black Ice, 4.3 kg, € 499

Aqualung Outlaw, 1.8 kg € 303 - no pockets

Aqualung Rogue, 3.0 kg € 460 - no pockets

Aqualung Zuma, 2.2 kg € 320 - just 1 small pocket

Cressi Lightwing, 2.1 kg € 370 - no real pockets

Cressi Scorpion, 2.5 kg € 350

Dive Rite Hydro Lite, 2.8 kg, - no pockets, can’t find any deals in EU

Hollis LTS, 2.3 kg € 430

Mares Magellan, 2.3 kg € 299 - just 1 small pocket

Oceanic Biolite, 2.5 kg, can’t find any deals in EU

Scuba Pro Hydros Pro, 5.0 kg € 699 - no real pockets

Scuba Pro Litehawk, 2.4 kg € 320 - no real pockets

Scuba Pro Seahawk 2, 3.6 kg € 425

Seac Modular, 3.0 kg € 330 - almost like backplate and wing, modular design, minimalistic

Zeagle Scout, 3.0 kg, can’t find any deals in EU

Happy Googling!

AHHAHAHAHAH oh man you bunch are a riot if anything. Alright , alright I get it. I will do my homework and pick something out of it all. Consider this thread archived on my part because it is turning into a poll. Thank you all for your participation and invaluable opinions.

AHHAHAHAHAH oh man you bunch are a riot if anything. Alright , alright I get it. I will do my homework and pick something out of it all. Consider this thread archived on my part because it is turning into a poll. Thank you all for your participation and invaluable opinions.
We also forgot to mention you should paint your bedroom into pale orange and bathroom in dark blue.
That's how SB works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom