http://www.diveheart.org/

Looking for Survey participants on Diver Travel Behavior for master thesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it, but the survey seems like a a blunt instrument for confirming your hypothesis that divers will support paying more to dive if doing so makes them feel better about ravaging the planet.

Well there is a point in that behavior. But I want to see how people react to the coral decline and coral bleaching and if it affects the travel behavior. I don't want to push anyone in a corner or something like this. You guys all get very easy offended by a few simple questions to your experience and travel behavior.

Nik,

I wasn't offended. I was merely unimpressed by your shoddy work.

For example, you asked no follow up questions to your question as to whether a regulated marine management area would make us more likely to dive somewhere. You don't know if a no answer means people resist the cost, resent management efforts, or just happen to think there's too much variation in the quality of local management to make that a factor in choosing their vacation destinations.

For another example, your income question. How did you pick your stratification levels? Did you know or care that your top level encompasses the top three quintiles of household income in the US? That question could have helped identify whether there are correlations between income level and willingness to pay more, but pretty much everyone here will be lumped into your top two income categories with no differentiation between the middle class and wealthy.

It would have been better if you had come here before you were desperate and short on time. The people commenting here could have helped you design a survey that had a chance of yielding useful information.

@Nigma, please dont take this the wrong way but my gut feeling is you will get results but the conclusion, while fully supported by the survey will be flawed.

As many people have commented (myself included) the questions drive the towards a conclusion that eco-friendly resorts are better (yes they are) but the reality is for most dive trip we choose a destination, not a dive operator (take a typical example, we narrow it down to 2-3 hotels in a place we can get to within our available window at a cost we are willing to spend, we then (and in that order) see who the dive op is (they will all go to the same dive sites, so that is irrelevant for picking where we go), in most cases the dive op is tied to the resort so we check that they offer what we want (nite dive, nitrox, deep, whatever...) and then we look at the food and beach and so on and ignore the dive op as we know they offer the same unless they get really bad or amazing reviews.

Exceptions are live-aboards and places such as AirBnB, small resorts, etc that have no affiliation with a dive op, there we might (based on many factors but mostly cost and reputation) look at eco-friendliness.

Marine parks help narrow down selection, but in many cases they are not a deciding factor, I love diving in Indonesia but my experience is that the local culture matters way more than if it's designated an official marine park, there are of course people that do it completely differently but you did not ask how we select a location, you did not ask what we rank higher, nor what constraints our options. I am happy to participate and wish you luck, but to qoute "
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Done.

Wow there really is a hotbed of comments coming out from this survey.

My two cents worth..... from my experience here in the Solomons tourism is generally good for the environment. It creates employment opportunities for local people that are less harmful to the environment than overfishing and logging. In addition there is growing awareness spreading through the communities of the value in protecting reefs and fish.

Done. Good luck. However I have to admit I agree with the previous posters who think this survey is skewed to support the opinion of the author.

Al right I will take that into account. Unfortunatly I was told to keep my survey as short as possible. It is "just" a master thesis and previous forms weren't accepted by my prof. I don't have any financial support or a lot of time to go that deep into the lot of problems. I aggree with you that there is missing depth in some questions. But this was the most I could do in my time.
Thank you all thou for your time and thought!

Al right I will take that into account. Unfortunatly I was told to keep my survey as short as possible. It is "just" a master thesis and previous forms weren't accepted by my prof. I don't have any financial support or a lot of time to go that deep into the lot of problems. I aggree with you that there is missing depth in some questions. But this was the most I could do in my time.
So what is the point of this survey?
Just to please some "professor" in order to validate a few credits?
Are you studying to get a piece of paper or to learn something?
Sorry to be harsh but I suppose you are young and can take a few punches :)

The survey questions should be included as an appendix to your thesis so the reader can judge whether the questions where loaded - as I believe yours are. I did that when I used a survey in my thesis.

Remember the purpose of a thesis is to advance the common body of knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom