Looking for reliable, well built and sturdy travel bag with wheels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the protection of hard sided luggage. "Heys" are good quality and super light.

I have never and don't expect to ever take a wheeled bag onto a boat.

I have been using a Stahlsac Bonaire mesh backpack-style bag for 6 years and it is still 100% functional. I can't recommend it enough. It will hold everything I need for a dive, including a wetsuit. I have not tried stuffing a drysuit in it, but that probably wouldn't work for a few reasons.

I use a regular piece of wheeled luggage to put my Stahlsac bag (which packs pretty darn small and light, really) in, along with my other gear. When I get "there", I transfer dive gear into the Stahlsac bag for taking to/from the boat.

Stahlsac bags are terrific. Durable, great wheels / straps. Not dive "branded". Well designed.
As above, very expensive here, but get what you pay for [well most times]. and watch the video in the link.
Steel 34 Wheeled Bag

After trying different ways of carrying gear to the boat and back, I have found it is much easier for me to wear my BC, string my regulator around my neck, put my fins on a really big carabiner (with a foam rubber handle) and carry everything else in a dry-bag. I'm 5' 1" and the distance from the ground to my hand is about 27" - it's about 33" for my husband (I made him stand up so I could measure!). Those mesh bags are cool, but for someone my height they just drag on the ground. PLUS, once you put the weight of a regulator in there with everything else, they're pretty darned heavy. If I happen to be wearing a 5mil I drape that over my shoulders too - more padding for the BC and regulator. Unless there are wheels on the mesh bag it's useless for me - and if there are wheels, I have more bag than the boat would like. So ... it's a 'whatever works' thing. (Btw, when I take my fins off the carabiner I put it right in the dry bag so it isn't hanging around the boat causing problems for other people - I remember reading somewhere on SB that folks on boats don't like carabiners, so I'm trying to be respectful.)

I would strongly recommend non Dive branded gear. 1) it doesn't scream steal me, I contain expensive gear; 2) you can usually save $; 3) more options. I really like the Osprey brand of backpacks and travel gear. And it really is guaranteed for life, no matter what the baggage handlers etc. do to it. You do pay more for their gear, but it is top notch, and if you find some on sale then even better.
Thank you. This actually makes more sense to me

I have a couple different bags for carrying gear around once we get to the destination, I’m just strictly looking for airplane travel.

After thinking about it, I’d love to be able to pack my gear into an easy carry bag to use around the boat/resort while keeping the hard shell put away and use it so when/if I check the gear for travel, I know it will be protected plus with rollers it will make it easy for transporting around.

Side note on Carabiner: the spring that keeps the carabiner gate closed is subject to failing from exposure to salt water. This shouldn’t be an issue for your application of using one to carry fins to and from the boat.

After trying different ways of carrying gear to the boat and back, I have found it is much easier for me to wear my BC, string my regulator around my neck, put my fins on a really big carabiner (with a foam rubber handle) and carry everything else in a dry-bag. I'm 5' 1" and the distance from the ground to my hand is about 27" - it's about 33" for my husband (I made him stand up so I could measure!). Those mesh bags are cool, but for someone my height they just drag on the ground. PLUS, once you put the weight of a regulator in there with everything else, they're pretty darned heavy. If I happen to be wearing a 5mil I drape that over my shoulders too - more padding for the BC and regulator. Unless there are wheels on the mesh bag it's useless for me - and if there are wheels, I have more bag than the boat would like. So ... it's a 'whatever works' thing. (Btw, when I take my fins off the carabiner I put it right in the dry bag so it isn't hanging around the boat causing problems for other people - I remember reading somewhere on SB that folks on boats don't like carabiners, so I'm trying to be respectful.)
Do you have the link for your bag? Amazon has one listed at $70ish, but not sure if it’s the one your happy with.

Do you have the link for your bag? Amazon has one listed at $70ish, but not sure if it’s the one your happy with.

I looked up the email I got from Sierra and it was called “Eagle Creek 28” No Matter What Flatbed Rolling Duffel Bag” and was $99 at the time. I just did a quick search and didn’t find it anywhere. Maybe it was replaced by a new model?

Edit: Here's a video of a review of it.

Back
Top Bottom