Looking for reliable, well built and sturdy travel bag with wheels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KSDeepDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking at the following;
Mares Cruise Dive Bag
Stahlsac Caicos Wheeled Dive Pack
Cressi Moby 5

looking for a well built bag that can haul anything from a rec BCD to a Tech BCD with everything needed for adventures out yonder.

From traveling in the states to out of the country, something I can take everything needed from going lionfish hunting in the Caribbean to diving the Mighty O in Pcola, all the way to dive trips to far corners of the earth.

Would like to be able to fit fins and a wetsuit if needed. (I doubt any bag has room for everything needed plus a dry suit)

thanks for any insight you’re able to give!

I would strongly recommend non Dive branded gear. 1) it doesn't scream steal me, I contain expensive gear; 2) you can usually save $; 3) more options. I really like the Osprey brand of backpacks and travel gear. And it really is guaranteed for life, no matter what the baggage handlers etc. do to it. You do pay more for their gear, but it is top notch, and if you find some on sale then even better.

I started a similar thread on the Women's Perspectives sub-forum and will attach the link (57 responses). I pulled the trigger on the Eagle Creek 28" No Matter What Rolling Duffel at Sierra.com. They truly have a lifetime guarantee and it doesn't break the bank. It is a soft-side bag, but sturdy, and easily accommodates my fins. I use my Pelican carry-on for my reg, camera and computer. If you were inclined to look at Pelican for a checked bag I'd investigate the lighter versions. The old fashioned style (what I have) are quite heavy before you put anything in them. And if you're thinking about getting one of those let me know - we have two we aren't using (and I think they still have the foam padding in them). Here's the link to the other thread.

I use hardshell Samsonite F'Lite GT suitcases. The gear itself usually inside of a duffle (MEC 90l Outpost) so I have a shoulderable bag to get to the divesites or to take on a liveaboard. Duffle gets loaded, then placed into the hardshell. The hardshell is tough enough to take airport handling but can be left in the hotel room/liveaboard office. The F'Lite also has the security of not having a zipper. It's a gasketed lip and three locking clamp clasps.

MEC 90l Outpost.jpg
Samsonite Flite GT.jpeg

s-l600.jpg

We have two of these Pacific Gear 30'' Drop-bottom Rolling Duffel Bags, one of each set of gear.

I was looking for very light bag as part of my criteria. Thanks to @Kimela and her posts, I bought the Eagle Creek Rolling duffle. Love it! Ticked off all my boxes.

I used a cheap Samsonite style bag for years. Hard shell is light weight yet rigid enough to offer some protection. I also liked the fact that it didn’t scream “expensive dive gear”. When it finally wore out, I got Stahlsac roller bag. It looks good and has great wheels, but doesn’t offer the same impact protection. Not sure it’s worth the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom